Looking for something?

Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Eye candy

When I was a teen, eons ago, MGA Entertainment did a small line of Bratz called iCandy.  The line consisted of Cloe, Yasmin, and Phoebe, and they were all dressed in colors that suggested brightly hued candy.  I freaking loved these.
I can't help but wonder if MGA remembers these and used them as an inspiration for the L.O.L. O.M.G. dolls.  They too are eye candy.  Neonlicious is with Mika in storage, but Bubblegum DJ, Groovy Babe, and Queen Sways are here with me and they're a feast for the eyes.
Oh yeah, I've also got Buns-2-Braids Bailey, one of those Surprise Swap Tweens.
I said last winter that Bronze-2-Blonde Billie was my favorite of these, so I don't remember why I ended up picking Bailey instead.  BOTH of 'em wear pink, so that wasn't a factor in my choice!  I think Bailey's heterochromia had something to do with it; I like dolls with mismatched eyes.
One of Bailey's other heads has even brighter eyes.
Either way, the Surprise Swaps are cute.  Bailey has two hands in the metal horns gesture, and Braids-2-Waves Winnie has at least one hand in a peace sign.  I don't own any other Tweens yet, so I don't know if any of them have hands like this, but I still think it's cool.  I also love how these dolls take a page out of Bratz Head Gamez' book, with their switchable noggins.  Bailey has four:  the two that she came with, and two extras.
The one on the right betrays Bailey's true eye color, LOL.  I really like these heads though, because they not only have differing hair colors, but their eyes and makeup are also different.  As I said in the past, Bratz did this too with Head Gamez, and oh, am I regretting not buying one of those now!  Do y'all know how much those Head Gamez pieces cost???  I could cry!  But anyway, I've got these now.  These heads fit snugly onto a small ball and peg, like so.
Bailey's neck joint is similar, but the peg moves around to allow for some neck movement.
SOME neck movement, that is.  No O.M.G. has a particularly mobile neck.  Anywho, here's how Bailey looks with her other heads.  She's not too shabby in any of 'em, but I think I like the pink and blue buns the best.
Each spare head comes with holes for earrings, and I was a little narked that none of 'em came with their own earrings.  Head Gamez did, you see.  But Bailey's cute little earrings come out...
...and they fit snugly into the other heads, so that's way better than nothing.
Now I want to pay some attention to the new kid in town, Bubblegum DJ.  DJ's wave is called Sunshine Makeover, and the dolls' clothes and hair change color in sunlight.  Here's how DJ looks inside...
...and outside.  The color change began immediately.  DJ's skirt, socks, shoes, and hair all changed.
I thought DJ's socks might've had skulls on them, but they're actually smiley faces.  I can definitely dig that!
Here's how DJ looked a few minutes after I brought her back inside.  Only her skirt is still the outside color, and it eventually turned back to its original butter yellow shade.
That's a fun gimmick.  I love stuff that changes color with light or temperature.  Heck, all of the Sunshine Makeover dolls are cute, enuff so that I kinda had a hard time choosing.  Sunrise has a bit of a go-go girl vibe, Stellar Gurl has a mix-and-match wardrobe, and Switches has hair bows made out of...well, hair!  I thought that a hair hair bow was a cute idea when Lady Gaga did it, and now it's not uncommon to see dolls with it too.

Groovy Babe also has an easy-to-use but fun gimmick.  She glows under blacklight...or parts of her do.  Neonlicious (left) does too, but I don't think she's supposed to.  Pardon the reused picture; I don't know where my little blacklight is.
As for Sways, from the Queens wave, she doesn't do anything special, but she makes up for it by looking fabulous. 
Not everyone can rock green lipstick!  I just love Queen Sways' colors, period.  I had no problem picking her as my favorite of the Queens, though I'll admit that Prism's colors dazzled me too.  I may add Prism to my collection someday...and maybe .  I also like Lexi Gurl and Aya Cherry a lot, and I may add them to the mix as well.  Again, it's all about color with Lexi and Aya.  Aya has dark blue highlights in her hair, while Lexi looks like a pastel goth.  It isn't every day one sees a pastel goth doll...or a pastel goth, period.  Regular goths are a rare sight in the wild, and pastel goths are even rarer.  One of Bailey's extra heads (the one with three ponytails) has a similar aesthetic, though it's not got any black on it.  For me a makeup job has to have either black lips or black eyeshadow to give it that gothic vibe.

One thing I don't like about either size of these dolls is their bodies.  I've said this before, but I'll say it again:  these bodies look like the girls on the cover of "As Nasty as They Wanna Be."  Here's what Bailey looks like without her clothes.
I think it's the underpants; they're kinda naughty, especially in Bailey's case (she's the Tween, after all).  But as I've said before, these are dolls, and they can be as crazy as they wanna be.  Besides, these dolls aren't twigs like other dolls are.  They've got nice thick hips.  Oh, and for the record, when I undressed Bailey her clothes shed glitter all over my pajama top.  Just thought I'd throw that out there; Miss Emily had a problem with one of her Rapunzel dolls doing that.
Some of these dolls also have mega-dumb names, though I can always change those.  I do wonder though why the Tweens get semi-normal names and the big girls don't.  The original L.O.L.s don't either.  

So, with #FailFix being a thing of the past, Fidgie Friends possibly headed in that direction, and Rainbow High cheapening up, it's good to see that O.M.G. is still alive and well.  It'll be interesting to see what they do in the months ahead...but geez, I hope it doesn't involve slime!

Cheers,
RagingMoon1987

No comments:

Post a Comment