Looking for something?

Friday, September 13, 2024

Summer's here?

Yep, she's here.  Summer McKinny, that is.  It's time for me to pull my head out of the cabbage patch and look at Girl of the Year 2025.  This is her.  She is...sigh, a blonde.
She bakes, crafts, walks dogs, and wants to start a small business.  From the looks of her collection she appears to be girly and...maybe a little into kawaii stuff???  I dunno.  

Okay, bad stuff first.  Summer is blonde and blue-eyed, an overused combo.  I can get over the blue eyes since we haven't had a blue-eyed GOTY since Grace Thomas, and ten years has been a minute.  The last blonde was Kira Bailey...and now that I think of it, four years is long enuff for a little girl to forget.  Little girls ARE the target audience of these dolls, after all.  But we old biddies remember.  Heck, Summer's highlights are even pink, just like Isabelle Palmer's!  Secondly, Summer appears to be Caucasian.  American Girl had been doing a good job with diversity with Corinne and Kavi being released close together.  I've also run into children of Italian decent who were/are delighted with Lila Monetti being "like them."  That said, children of all races like to bake, walk dogs, and do crafts.  It wouldn't have been hard to have designed Summer as a little black doll, or a biracial doll like our dearly departed Evette Peeters.  Or a Hispanic girl!  We haven't had a Hispanic girl since Luciana!

Now the good stuff.  Summer's head mold looks like a Nanea head.  In the past I've derided the Nanea sculpt as childish, but it's not yet been used for a Girl of the Year.  Spoiler alert, I don't have a Nanea head in my collection!  I like the highlights in her hair (even if they are pink) and I like that her hair is straight (even if it is blonde).  And y'all may remember how I love rainbows and rainbow-colored things.  Therefore, it's probably obvious why I love Summer's dress.  Oh, and Summer is wearing glasses.  No Girl of the Year has been bespectacled, even though there are plenty of us out there who need glasses.

Oh my...I don't know about y'all, but I may need this doll.  I don't need her...but I may need her.  How about y'all?  Are y'all excited for Summer's release, or would y'all rather burn her at the stake?  OR do y'all not give a crap?  LOL, I know you'll let me know.

Much love,
RagingMoon1987

2 comments:

  1. For some unknown reason rainbows always remind me of Unicorns ... weird or what? To answer your question, she's pretty enough but these dolls are not really my cup of tea. However, I do think YOU need her. LOL!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I need her! No, I don't think it's that weird to associate rainbows with unicorns, particularly since they're usually illustrated together. I reckon unicorns can be any color you want.

      Delete