Looking for something?

Thursday, October 3, 2024

Dolly Dress Discussion: My Child and the Cabbage Patch

As promised, here's my My Child doll, Morgan...
...and here's one of the Preemie outfits she'll be trying on.  It's Cara Raelean's little mint green ensemble, but Cara doesn't mind sharing. 
Morgan and my long-armed Preemie boy Ernest John are of similar size, and that got me to wondering if they could share clothes.  Hence why we're here today.  And please don't mind Morgan's red bows; regardless of whether she can wear Preemie clothes, she's going right back in her sailor dress after this is over.  I love that sailor dress a bit too much.  Now let's see how she looks in that green.
Or mint green with a decidedly blue tinge, rather.  Morgan's torso is egg-shaped (a Cabbie has a rectangular torso), so I was expecting this ensemble to be tight around her waist.  But in truth it's a little roomy all over.  Not ridiculously so, but enuff that Mama noticed when I showed Morgan to her.  The neck is particularly loose, though with this particular outfit it's hard to tell.  The little socks fit fine, and I didn't show this, but Morgan was able to wear her shoes over those.  Remember that My Child dolls can stand on their own if they have their shoes.

But do y'all think that one outfit is enuff for me?  Well in this case, no way.  I dug out two other outfits (also normally worn by Cara Raelean), both of which are yellow.  This one is a romper with a bonnet that was WAAAAY too small for Morgan's head.
As for the rest of the outfit...it LOOKS too big all over, but it's actually very tight across the waist.  Indeed, I almost didn't get the Velcro there fastened.  The rest of the outfit is big, especially around the neck (again).  My Child dolls have skinny necks, especially when compared to Cabbage Patch Kids.  This little outfit had no footwear, and Morgan's stock socks were too long for the legs of the romper.

Now the last outfit.  It's one of those long christening gown-type getups with a little matinee jacket over the top.  Cara Raelean spent most of last winter in this.
Of the three outfits, this one was...well, it was the easiest AND the hardest to put Morgan in.  There's no Velcro at all, but the gown is nice and roomy so it slid over her head fairly well.  Her pigtails were pretty tormented afterwards, but all I have to do is shake Morgan and her hair pops back.  As to the outfit, it is once again big around the neck, so much so that I almost said this one was a no-go.  Luckily the matinee jacket hides this poor fit and even compensates a little bit.  Because this is loose all over it fit Morgan the best, but because it's so long it makes her look a lot younger than the toddler that she presumably is.  Overall I'll say that Cabbage Patch Preemie clothes are okay for a My Child doll in a pinch, but they're better off wearing either their own clothes or Magic Nursery toddler clothes.

And that would've been the end of it...except that it's my birthday in a few days, and I went a little crazy with my purchases.  Meet Vincent.
My woes with the local post office continue!  My friend did have to resign, but that's neither here nor there.  Vincent arrived at the P.O. at 7:08 A.M. October 1st and was on the truck by 7:19.  I didn't receive him until almost nine P.M. last evening.  Twelve hours!!!  That's getting past ridiculous, but calling and complaining won't do an iota of good.

Take a deep breath, Moon Girl.  Obviously I love Morgan to pieces, but I desperately wanted a little boy My Child too.  And in true RagingMoon1987 fashion, I wanted a redhead.  I was expecting a pitched battle since red-haired My Child dolls can go for a nice price, but Vincent has a little bit of wear so he wasn't terribly expensive.  He needs a little color on his lips, but his fabric isn't torn or anything.
Y'all can probably also see that his face is free of wrinkles.  Morgan, as I've said time and time again, did not dodge that bullet.

So that's it!  My My Child collection is up to two, and I'll try to keep it that way unless something really unique comes up.  Afro-American and Hispanic My Child dolls are particularly tricky to find, so they're the ones on my radar now.  But I'm content to bide my time.  Also, it's good to know that these dolls can wear Cabbage Patch Preemie clothes, though the fit is imperfect. 

Love,
RagingMoon1987 

8 comments:

  1. You know how much I love my own My Child in her sailor dress, but the preemie dress is adorable on Morgan too. And her new redheaded brother is a nice find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I was able to find him in a semi-coordinating outfit. One can't afford to pick and choose when it comes to the boys. Yeah, yours is a sweetie!

      Delete
  2. MoonGirl! I just now realized that 1987 is "your" year. My son was also born in 1987! (Which makes me OLD enough to be your mama. But we won't tell, right?? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with that! Yep, I'm a product of 1987, just like Baby Heather.

      Delete
    2. 1987 was a good year! And again in 1990, and 1995. Lol!

      Delete
    3. 1991 is the one I remember being special. That was the year my sister was born.

      Delete
  3. I wonder if some Bitty Baby doll dresses would fit Cabbage Patch or My Child dolls?
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete