Looking for something?

Tuesday, July 16, 2024

On Catty Noir (I'll try to keep it brief this time)

<giggles drunkenly>  I love you, and do you know why?  Because you're sooooo THICK!!!  LOL, the last time I did a Monster High post it went ridiculously long in its time slot, so I'll just offer a quick look this time, plus some of my usual rambling.  That said, I didn't think the current Monster High dolls could get curvier than Abbey Bominable is, but...well, then I met Catty Noir.  Catty isn't as tall as G3 Abbey, but she's a lot curvier.  I also threw in G1 Abbey for reference.
Catty's dark coloring and subtle makeup make her a difficult subject to photograph.  She's a very pretty doll, but my phone's camera doesn't catch it.
I'm pleased as punch that this character is back, first and foremost.  Black cats are near and dear to my family's hearts, and the doll's coloring reminds me of those Chalkboard Ghoul minis that I liked so much.  Dang, I wish those Chalkboard Ghouls had been full-size dolls!  Anyway, I do have a G1 Catty traipsing around in my collection somewhere, but where exactly I don't know.  She last popped onto the blog in June of 2018, shortly after Monster High had gotten the axe, but she's not gone for good.  She is a far cry from my new Catty Noir, though...as are most of the G3 dolls.  I loved and still love the G1 dolls, but let's face facts:  they're uber-skinny and because of that they're a bit on the fragile side.  By contrast, G3 Catty feels very substantial in my hands.  It was hard for me to get her knees to bend...
...but she can do it, and she didn't feel too fragile when I did get her knees to bend.  Sometimes when I grapple with a doll's joints, I can feel the connection points bending instead of the joint itself, but Catty's knees don't do that.  Nor is she loose all over, like my G1 Venus McFlytrap proved to be (she too is in the world of missing persons at the moment).  Overall Catty isn't a half-bad doll.  She's even got microbraids and wispy bits around her hairline, just like G3 Venus does.
Venus's and Catty's respective Wiki pages say nothing about these two being particularly close, but I can always make up my own storylines.  I do anyway, LOL.

Sigh...I like the body diversity in these dolls and I don't.  I like how none of 'em are alike, just like my three best friends and I weren't alike in high school.  All four of us were different sizes, and the same is true for Drac, for Lagoona, for Abbey and Venus, and for Catty.
These dolls all pose like their G1 sisters, with not a smidge of personality lost.
But I wish Mattel would...LOL, it's Moon's famous complaint.  I wish Mattel would make extra outfits for these dolls.  HauntCoutureAtelier makes nice things for the new Monster High bodies, but those dresses are expensive.  Draculaura's extra outfit came from MagzRockingStyle, and they've started making clothes in Catty's size so if I want some new stuff from her I'll go that route.  But in the very beginning Mattel made outfit sets that were tailored to a single character, and I wish they'd do that again.  Robecca Steam's set was my favorite, by the way.  I have those outfits...guess where.  Somewhere.  I solemnly swear that when I dig out my doll room at Casa del Luna, I'm putting my Monster High and Ever After High stuff in the same friggin' box like I did with my Bratz.

Also, with a secondary character like Catty Noir making an appearance I'm starting to wonder...will Skelita Calaveras get a revival?  Will Jinafire Long?  Operetta?  Catrine DeMew?  Maybe so, maybe not, but one can hope, right?  I personally think that Skelita deserves a rehash; her G1 body was very fragile.  My two remain in good health, but playing with them never was much fun because their bones were bendy, as were the connection points in her joints.  Ewwww...osteogenesis imperfecta gives me the creeps.  But yeah, I'd love to see a G3 Skelita Calaveras.  Time will tell!

Freaky love,
RagingMoon1987

2 comments:

  1. That's actually kind of commendable, tbh. Not only is Catty rounder than previous "curvy" style dolls even within her own franchise, she actually has chubby arms *and* a chubby face. All too often they overlook the face sculpt in these cases :'D
    I like her dimples, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's just cute, period. I only wish my pictures of her had come out better!

      Delete