Looking for something?

Sunday, July 21, 2024

Idle chatter about freckles

I like dolls with freckles.  I don't remember when this fondness for dolly freckles began, but I like 'em.  I thought I had quite a few with this attribute, and thus it was a shock to wake up this morning and discover that I only have three freckle-faces living at Casa Pizarro.  For the record, I have about forty large to medium-sized dolls crammed into the room that Mama and I share, but my only dolly children with spots are these three.  Candela Laura, Danica Rain Holley, and Baby Needs-A-Name. 

Danica is my sole Create Your Own American Girl, and she's got the freckle pattern that most but not all American Girls have.
It's kinda a trippy pattern, with realistically-shaped freckles on the cheeks and the sides of the nose, but none on the bridge of the nose.  I always thought that was kinda strange.  As far as I know this was the only pattern for American Girls until Mia St. Clair (GOTY 2008) came along.  Hers are more naturally distributed, spanning all of her nose and her cheeks. 
I may have to swallow my pride and find Mia.  The more I futz around with American Girls, the more I like her.  Anyway, as far as I know Mia is the only one with that freckle pattern, and AG didn't release another new pattern until Evette Peeters came along.  EDIT, 7/24/24:  Grace Thomas also introduced a new freckle pattern.  I forgot about her, LOL.
THEN Evette came after that.  She shares a pattern with reigning Girl of the Year, Lila Monetti.
Moving on, Cabbage Patch Kids have an interesting relationship with freckles.  
Coleco #2 heads had freckles in 1983, and in 1985 some #1 heads got 'em, but in those early days Coleco Kids were usually without.  Jesmar, on the other hand...Jesmar Cabbies WITHOUT freckles were the exception to the rule.  All four heads that Jesmar used had 'em, as Candela shows.  I don't know why both companies did that, but they did, and it makes distinguishing Jesmars a little easier for the novice.

By the time Growing Hair Kids came around freckles were fairly common on Cabbies, though my two don't have 'em.  Andrea Doria has a few ink stains, and Cleopatra Chantale looks like one of those porcelain Cabbies.
I did almost pick up a different #22 than Cleopatra Chantale, and that doll had a bumper crop of freckles.  Bobbi Cecile is still on eBay and she needs a home, if anyone wants a sweet Growing Hair Kid.  Anyway, freckles are fairly common on Cabbies now, but they're not ubiquitous.  Indeed, I have twenty-nine in my personal patch, and Candela Laura is the only one with freckles. 

Strawberry Shortcake, on the other hand...many, MANY of them has freckles.  Case in point:

American Greetings didn't shy away from sprinkling their characters' mugs with freckles, and neither did Kenner.  Of the first nine produced the only one without was the Purple Pieman.  As the eighties progressed a few more characters appeared without freckles, but most of 'em had 'em.  Makes sense, as these dolls were based on fruit and probably spent a lot of time outside.  As for these babies, the only one without freckles was Orange Blossom. 

And that's that.  None of my Magic Nursery dolls have freckles, and I don't think that line ever had 'em.  Nor am I aware of any freckled My Child dolls, though that would be easy to customize.  As for the glut of dolls without freckles in the bedroom...it's partially coincidence and partially the fact that I don't have many freckle-faces to begin with.  Three American Girls (Lindsey, Danica and Justine-Marie), one Cabbage Patch Kid, one My Twinn, a handful of Barbie dolls, and one of my Bratz (Tessa).  Oh yeah, and Chatty Cathy. 

So how about y'all?  Freckles, no freckles, or does it even matter to you?

EDIT, 9:20 P.M.:  I completely forgot about my Checkerboard Dawn friend!  This is Shannon. 

Shannon originally did not have freckles, but Treesa gave her freckles and a haircut to make up for a bad chop job.  I like Dawn dolls, and I think this revival by Checkerboard is interesting, so Shannon may need a closer look in the future.  See the comments for my conversation with Treesa, and see this post for Shannon's introduction.  Shame on me for forgetting her!

Much love,
RagingMoon1987 

6 comments:

  1. I love freckles on a dolly! I am partial to redheads, and man of them have spots, so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird, the handful of redheads I've got with me are not freckled at all, except for Shannon, as Treesa pointed out below. Maybe I should do a post on that...

      Delete
  2. Similar to my weakness for Barbie dolls with 'fantasy hair colors' and female Barbie and family dolls with molded hair, I also have a weakness for dolls with freckles. I even tried experimenting a little with painting my own doll freckles on fixer-uppers. I gifted a Checkboard Dawn doll friend named Shannon with cut hair to you, after doing my best to even out her choppy haircut. I remembered you liked green-eyed redheads. The other doll I customized with painted freckles was a My Little Pony Molly doll with pinpricks on her face. She was gifted to another friend.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shoot a monkey, poor Shannon! I keep her tucked away with my smaller dolls and I forgot all about her! I owe her a post of her own for that futz-up. I bet Molly came out cute. That's a clever idea, covering up marks like that with freckles.

      Delete
  3. Girl of the Year Grace Thomas had another unique freckle pattern well before Evette and Lila came into existence - I'm also a lover of freckle faced dolls ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not thinking very straight today. Forgot Grace even existed, the poor child! Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete