Looking for something?

Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Is it really THAT tough bein' green?

I'm still working on a Fidgie Friends review (yep, goin' on seven months now), and in order to do so I had to root Monique Verbena out of my doll box.  Then, of course, I got an idea for a post.  For a refresher, here's Monique. 
The Shadow High students started off black, white, and grayscale, but of course now they're tinted these fabulous colors like pink and teal and Monique's beautiful purple.  Now...in all the time that Shadow High has been a thing, I've counted exactly ONE (1) green doll.  Harley Limestone, one of the rock band members, is celery-colored with neon green hair.
Zooey Electra (left) and Berrie Skies are also listed as green by some vendors, but they look blue to me.  Berrie's name even implies that she's supposed to be blue.  Zooey's ensemble and accessories contain several references to the Novi Stars, by the way.  I love that little touch.

But yeah, they're blue, not green.  In addition to Zooey and Berrie Oliver Ocean and Uma Van Hoose also represent the color blue.  And don't get me started on pink!  Monique is not the only purple doll either, though admittedly she appears to be the brightest shade of purple.

I wonder why MGA Entertainment has been shying away from making another green doll...or IF they're really shying away and haven't thought of it yet.  Monster High wasn't afraid to make green dolls; Amanita Nightshade, Casta Fierce, and Venus McFlytrap were all green.
In fact, G3 Venus is even MORE green than G1 was!  Amanita, Casta, and G1 Venus were celery-colored, while G3 Venus is a lovely grassy shade.
Ain't no mama like the one I got!  Yes, I have Mama to thank for this one; in fact, through a comical error in ordering she bought me two!  But Venus is a deeper green now than she was during her G1 days and I freaking love it.  I wish MGA would make a doll in this shade...or a similar shade.

As much as I love Venus, she'll soon be upstaged by yet another G3 Monster High student.  I won't say that the new doll is more striking than Venus, but she's definitely on equal footing.  So stay tuned.

Cheers,
RagingMoon1987

4 comments:

  1. My only guess as to why we don't see a lot of green dolls is because green is a difficult color to work with as a dye. Ladies' dresses in the 1860s used arsenic to keep them a vivid green color. All of those Scarlett O'Hara draperies dress dolls that were sold by the Danbury and Franklin Mints? A lot of the dresses have become a brownish color instead. Scarlett by Mattel may have suffered the same fate; I haven't seen as many of those. Of course, one would think that the artificial fabrics that newer dolls wear would keep that green color, but who knows? Ever After High also suffered from a lack of dolls with a green theme. The best one that we got was Jillian Beanstalk. I know a lot of collectors would have liked to see Apple White in green at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I'd forgotten about arsenic green! Pity that Scarlett O'Hara's dolly dresses haven't held up over the years; that was such a lovely dark shade! That makes sense though, that green would be a difficult color to work with. My dad said that green fireworks were hard to find when he was a kid, if that ties in. Apparently the mineral they used to make green was in short supply.

      Delete
    2. That's interesting about fireworks colors. I love fireworks, but I am not to be trusted setting them off.

      Delete
    3. Ditto. I burned a hole in my new shirt one time.

      Delete