Looking for something?

Friday, August 6, 2021

Another American Girl

Yes, she's my fifteenth...no, she's my sixteenth.  Yes, she's my third doll with the blonde hair/blue eyes/classic mold combo.  Oh well on both counts.  This is a JLY #27, one that I see...well, fairly often, but maybe not as much as her nearly identical twin, #22.

Her name is Doremi Annabeth Latowski, and like my other secondhand dolls she's been around the block a couple'a times.  Her legs are a little loose and she's had a hair trim, and her earrings and original clothes are missing.  I can rectify most of those issues, and I think the hair trim adds to her charm, as her hair has layers that frame her face now.

I love little imperfections like this because they make the doll an individual, kinda like my dolls with silver eye.  Unfortunately the hair in the back is a little dry, meaning that Doremi will need a spa day in the future, just like Julie and Felicity do.

To tell the truth ALL of my girls past a certain age probably need a spa day with the possible exception of Silver Bird, so I need to get on the stick and do that.  Seriously, if Silver Bird didn't have so many broken ends she'd have the best hair of my bunch.  Anyway, Doremi is a little unique in that she's got an artist's mark on her neck.  As far as I know, none of my other dolls have a mark like this.  Since it's such a teeny-weeny little mark I may have overlooked it on my other girls.

I don't know how significant that is, but I think it's worth mentioning.  The wiki says that "these are assumed to be from early in production," but they don't really say anything about the age of the mold.  Since Doremi's earrings weren't permanently attached she can't be one of the earliest of her kind, as #27 had permanently attached earrings for the first two years of her existence.  No worries, her earrings were easily replaced.

Somewhere in my cache of stuff I have some cheerleader-themed earrings, which I had intended to be for Joss Kendrick.  Lo and behold, I got Courtney and Justine-Marie instead of Joss (though I do still like Joss), so I guess Doremi can be my little cheerleader.  That's why I bought the green cheerleading outfit.

I wish I could get a cheerleading outfit for the Greenwave.  I showed very little support for Malden High's athletics department during my days in high school, but...well, times have changed, and so has my attitude.  Doremi's uniform IS mostly green, and it looks a little like the older cheer uniforms that Malden had, so I guess I can't complain too much.

Of course I want to discuss eyes, as I often do.  When I talked about Zoe earlier this year I talked about how she was one of the first dolls to break the pie-banged standard that most of the early Truly Me dolls had.  Granted, Zoe wasn't THE FIRST; that honor would go to #21 with her short, curly pigtails.  Doremi is another of these early dolls, though she isn't as original as Zoe is/was.  As I noted above, #22 and #27 are practically twins.


Practically.  #22 has light blue eyes and "straight" eyebrows, while #27 has dark blue eyes and feathered brows, and it was this dark blue shade that I was after.  Only a handful of AG dolls have this color, and I understand that it can develop silver eye, but as far as I can tell Doremi has no issues with that.  Apparently #27 is not predisposed to that, but...well, that don't mean nuttin'!  Not that silver eye bugs me much, but Doremi's eyes are healthy.
Not bad!  I admit that I was a little disappointed at first when I saw Zoe's eyes, as the wiki lists them as an amber shade and they're...well, not.  I've since grown to like them, but that's beside the point.  Doremi does not disappoint at all, and in an odd way she also helped clear up one of my weird little conundrums.  When I reviewed Courtney at the beginning of the year I mused about the shade of her eyes.  They're blue, but they seem to be darker than Kirsten's eyes.
I thought this might mean that Courtney had dark blue eyes, but her eyes are definitely NOT as dark as Doremi's are.
The wiki lists the eye colors of Kirsten, Courtney, and #27 as light blue, blue, and dark blue, respectively.  When I first got Courtney that confused me.  I guess it shouldn't have, since when the wiki says "blue" it means "blue" and not "light blue" or "dark blue."  What can I say, I can be a bit of a pea-brain at times.  Just to pound my point further into the wood, here's a close-up of each eye.
But then again, the wiki states that the new 35th anniversary Kirsten has darker blue eyes than the original.  Maybe Courtney's shade of blue is the new light blue???  I dunno.  I like Courtney's middle-of-the-road shade, but I like the pale blue eyes too because they're...like mine.  Oh well, I've got a doll representing all three shades now, so no biggie.  As an aside, dig this.
See the black smear under her eye?  Now dig this!
The eBay seller warned of this.  Looks like some little kid was practicing her makeup skills on her doll.  I may paint over this so it doesn't look so glaring.  I don't usually like my American Girls wearing makeup but...well, Justine-Marie and Lark have a little makeup and I don't gripe about that!

So that's Doremi, my sixteenth child, my fifth sixth blonde (I forgot Kyle, LOL), my fifth blue-eyed doll, and...I've lost count of how many classic heads I've got.  IDC, my collection, my rules.  Kirsten, Doremi, and Courtney are all enuff of individuals that I can tell them apart.
That being said, if I count Julie and Kyle that gives me six blondes in the AG department, and then when I throw Sadie and Gracie into the mix that gives me eight.  So unless I magically fall in love with #21 or #56 Doremi should be my last blonde doll of this size...yeah.  Y'all know how good I am at keeping promises!  But no, when I do get another AG doll (and it will be "when," not "if") it will hopefully either Joss or Gabby, both of whom I adore, and both of whom have attributes that I don't yet have in my collection.  Joss has such a sweet face, and I just like Gabby.  She got done so dirty by American Girl, and she could've been great if she'd gotten the time and attention she deserved.  We'll just see.  In the meantime I need to find out what all the fuss is behind Disney's ily 4ever clothes.  Are they just clothes, or is there a doll line involved?

Much love, 
RagingMoon1987 

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new doll! Courtney looks great in her Strawberry Shortcake outfit, so retro! Two of my four American Girl dolls (four counting Felicity who hasn't arrived here yet) have blond hair and blue eyes, but they have such different hairstyles that I wanted both. I don't want to be completely tied to historical dolls' stories, but I like the idea of dressing Caroline in Regency outfits and Kirsten in pioneer ones, and their hair is just so suitable to their eras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'm glad you like the Strawberry Shortcake dress; I figure that since Courtney was a product of the eighties she'd be at least semi-familiar with Strawberry. I want your honest opinion, Barb: do Caroline's eyes seem more blue or green to you? To me they look more green.

      Delete
    2. I took a good look at them, and they look more green to me. Not how I picture green eyes normally though; they're a kind of tealish?

      Delete
    3. Yeah, compared to honest-to-God blue eyes (like Kirsten and Lindsey have) Caroline's eyes look green. But next to green eyes they look blue. I'd say teal is a pretty good description.

      Delete