Looking for something?

Friday, May 31, 2024

Bonnie and friends

I've hit the Cabbage Patch Kids pretty hard lately, and I WAS going to review my new Bonnie doll today.  This is my Bonnie; she's Milk Shake from the Starry Night Chapter wave.
But Setsu-P hauled off and surprised me with a box full of other dolls of similar size...including another Bonnie!  It's weird:  I wanted to review my Bonnie and then grub up a Penny's Blind Box doll and compare the two, but Setsu has me covered again.  <pauses to draw breath>  Okay...lemme slow down.  I forget when it was, but sometime in the past I said that I wanted to focus on small dolls.  Yeah, we saw in my last Cabbage Patch post how well that's going!  But Setsu-P remembered, and like me she's trying to offload some stuff.  I ended up with a good-sized box of small dolls, most of 'em blind box BJDs like Miss Emily had on her blog.  This one will make Emily eat her heart out...unless she's got one already.  Knowing her, she's got a centaur now, but so do I!
This sweetie is from Penny's Blind Box.  The centaur line is entitled Dreamlike Tea Party, and I think these girl figures from there are all named Antu.  I love these dolls' soft eyes and jug ears.
Antu's hooves are translucent...
...as are her magnetized wings...
...and her tail.  This is held in place with a dab of eye putty and I couldn't help laughing at that.  Hey, do what works!
Antu came with some extra magnets and some hands, but I kinda like these little clasped hands.  They make Antu look extra demure.
Antu's head comes apart, I presume to make head removal easier.  Antu dolls can switch faceplates and hair back and forth, so there's that feature too.  Too bad I only have one Antu...for now. 
She reminds a little of a Teletubby without her hair.  LOL, I don't know why.  The Teletubbies don't look this grumpy, and I don't remember their ears sticking out, but I look at Antu like this and half-expect her to say "Again, again!"
Yes, I admit that I like the Teletubbies at my age.  Anyway, Antu's hair fits tightly and has a couple'a cutesy-gothic barrettes.
Next doll, next doll...awww heck, let's move on to Bonnie.  Y'all saw Milk Shake, so now here's Setsu's skateboarder, Street Skater.
Skater is from the Journey of the Streets series, and she's a devious-looking little goober!  
By contrast, Milk Shake looks a little ill at ease.
For reasons I don't know, dolls from the Starry Night Chapter line do not have ears.  This is significant because Bonnie is supposed to be a rabbit, and most rabbits have big ears.  Street Skater does have ears, albeit ears that detach.  These have joints at the base.
Unlike Antu, Bonnie has inset eyes that vary widely in color.  Milk Shake has green eyes, and Street Skater's eyes are red-violet.  The eyes are apparently supposed to follow one around, but on such a small scale that effect doesn't work too well.
Interestingly, not all Bonnie dolls appear to be equal.  Milk Shake is paler and a smidge taller than Street Skater, and she's got big rabbitlike paws.  Skater has dainty, humanoid hands.
Like Antu, Bonnie's head comes apart in three places (Milk Shake's bangs fall off a lot), but unlike Antu, my two dolls cannot share faceplates.
Both Bonnie and Antu are "kicky," by the way.  That's par for the course with ball-jointed dolls, and can be remedied.  So far, Street Skater poses the best.

This next one is a Lady Doolli doll, a line that I'm unfamiliar with.  She smells faintly of roses, and her posing is significantly better than Street Skater's.  She is surprisingly difficult to photograph.
This doll came with a few wardrobe pieces and has a neck joint like I have never seen.  It moves the way good dolly necks should, but the ball joint is on full display.  I've NEVER seen that.
I like Doolli's soft face, too.  Her paint job reminds me a bit of an Ai Doll.  Her eyes look a little like blue flowers.
Doolli's head does not open up that I am aware of.  She thus is the first ball-jointed doll I've owned whose head doesn't open up.
Speaking of Ai Dolls and Doolli's resemblance to them, the last doll Setsu sent me is an Ai Doll, box and all.  I'm the proud owner of two of these, but what's one more?
This one is Denphalae, and her aesthetic is PERFECT for me.  World Goth Day was on May 22nd and I celebrated with a black hair bow, because while I've never been fully goth, I loved and still love adding touches of it to my everyday look.  Denphalae, on the other hand...she goes full monty.  Her eyes are even upcast, kinda like Wednesday Addams.
Setsu was particularly fond of the little rabbit that comes with the doll.
I used to have a big stuffed rabbit myself.  He wasn't black, but he sure was cute!  Denphalae can hold him, but it takes a little bamboozling.  All of my Ai Dolls need wiring.
My other Ai Dolls came with accessories too, but none as great as that rabbit!  Marzipan can't even hold the ice cream cone she came with.  But then again, Denphalae can't wear these!
I won't tell y'all what Daddy called boots like these, LOL.

I must say, I certainly am spoiled by my lovely viewers.  Barb, Tam, Treesa, and Setsu have all sent me stuff over the years, and a lot more of you leave comments that are greatly appreciated.  Heck, even if you lurk and don't comment it's appreciated.  Thank you, Setsu, for the lovely little dolls, especially...well, it's actually kinda hard to pick a favorite, LOL!  But the weather was terrible last week, and work was terrible on Wednesday, so these were little spirit boosters.  Thanks, Setsu.

Cheers,
RagingMoon1987

4 comments:

  1. Actually, the centaurs do have names, that particular one is just "Thought". The red one I have (my first one) is Neon, from the same set. There's a second even fancier set out now and it's killing me, haha. I completely forgot I puttied her tail in place. Neon's is prone to falling out as well, but supposedly you can warm the peg up in hot water and get it to stay in place that way. I'm just lazy. You do want to watch out for the wings, though - one of them overlaps the back seam on her dress in exactly the wrong way. You may have noticed it looks droopy (when it isn't falling off, that is).
    The Doolli girls don't appear to have names, so that's entirely up to you! Although her head may be looser than it should be; I don't believe the ball is *supposed* to show quite that much. I do have a post about them.
    And I'm super glad Denphalae fits right in to your aesthetic. I kept Nierembergia, but she was the first Ai I found and I'm happy she's gone to the perfect new home :)
    Hopefully the box didn't interrupt your moving too much, I know how that can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice the issue with the wings. Usually I just leave those in storage because I don't want to lose them. This really is a fun bunch, though. I kinda wish I wasn't too lazy to build a backdrop for them. No, the move is progressing at the speed of frozen snail slime, so your box didn't interfere a bit!

      Delete
    2. Easiest backdrop in the world is just a sheet of posterboard, tbh. Also cheapest, if your local general treefamily dollar has it. My latest small scale backdrop is Fancy Cobbled Trash (tm) and I'll have to make a post about it, lol.

      Delete
    3. Oh good! That'll be fun to see.

      Delete