Looking for something?

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Quacky Cords!

Nothing much today, really.  I just never pass up an opportunity to talk about Real Baby.  LOL, I adopted Geneva from Tam expecting to like her; indeed, Tam has yet to send me a doll I DIDN'T like.  But I wasn't expecting to fall head-over-heels in love with her the way I have!  It's not like I don't have other baby dolls, LOL again.  But no, Geneva isn't so old that she's peeling and cracking like compo babies do (nor WILL she peel and crack, since she's NOT compo), and she's not painted and customized to the hilt so that I fear carrying her around like I might a higher-end reborn.  I can, in a sense, do what I like with Geneva.
Well, for the most part, I can.  Geneva's head is so heavy that it doesn't stay up very well, but then that's true of real-live babies.  This does little more than make some photography a pain in the posterior.  But anyway, I sometimes complain about the difficulty in finding clothes for certain dolls (Bailey is impossible, for example), but Geneva is relatively easy to shop for.  Relatively easy, that is.  0-3 month-sized tops and onesies are kinda big on her. 

Regarding clothes made specifically for Real Baby, I've found a few brand-name things and some cute stuff on Etsy, but this bad boy is mint on card...for now.  <rubs hands together>  Bwa-ha-ha...but seriously, this came in the mail with zero delays, so in theory my other packages could've too.
I always like showing the price stickers when they're visible.  In this case the sticker reads "Villa Clara Store" plus a price of just under ten bucks.  
Villa Clara Store is apparently still in existence.  They're located a world away from Malden, in Miami, Florida, but then this little dress came from Fort Lauderdale, so it all makes sense.

Now...this little dress is called "Quacky Cords."  It was once used as a mail-order item, but apparently it could be found in stores as well.  According to the back of the package there were four little outfits in this particular wave...none of which are the two brand-name outfits that Geneva modelled last fall.  Those two dresses were probably stock outfits.  Anywho, here's a look at the other outfits.  Four little getups isn't bad for a baby doll!
Quacky Cords is on the bottom right; the others are Starry Sleeper (ooo, pajamas!), Ready for Play (overalls), and Jumpin' Jills (blick, a jogging suit).  I love the word play in "Jumpin' Jills," by the way.  I think that jogging suits are hideous and I refuse to wear them myself, but they look fine on a baby.  Babies don't give a crap what revolting attire you put 'em in...unless it's a hat, LOL.  Most of the babies I've known hated wearing things on their heads.  Fortunately for Geneva Quacky Cords doesn't have a headband or anything like that.  It does, however, have a pair of tights.
I don't know of anyone who likes wearing tights!  But does Geneva look adorable in this or what?  For some weird reason I've always loved ducks on kids' clothes (my old Suzy Cute has an outfit like that).  Another thing that a lot of babies I know don't like are shoes, and Geneva has those too.
Since babies don't walk until nine months or so there isn't much need for shoes until then!  But Geneva is sized about like a nine-month-old...I guess.  I recently met a nine-month-old that was about Geneva's size, so i guess that works.  Geneva is an armful, I know that much!  Anyway, these shoes fall off a lot so when I'm moving Geneva around I just take 'em off, just like I do with some of my Cabbage Patch Kids and quite a few of my American Girls.

Now, as usual, time for a tangent.  I've done some reading about reborn dolls, including Miss Emily's Saskia Project (posts here, here, and here).  When it was time to place Saskia's eyes Emily first gave the little doll very dark eyes...kinda like Geneva's.  Emily wasn't happy with the result and swapped the eyes out, an easy feat with Saskia's soft vinyl.  That got me to wondering...Geneva and her Real Baby brothers and sisters are hard as rocks, harder even than My Twinn dolls.  It's possible to swap out My Twinn eyes with the use of a hair drier, but I wonder if such a feat would ever be possible with a doll like Geneva?
Not that I want to, of course!  One of my favorite things about Geneva are those big, dark, uniquely blue eyes that stand out against her otherwise fair coloring.  But mishaps do happen, and doll eyes can get damaged.  I wonder if a swap would ever be possible, as hardheaded as Geneva is?  For those of y'all who have never handled Real Baby, the vinyl is...I'd almost compare it to porcelain.  It's that hard.  Indeed, the lady who designed Real Baby did do porcelain dolls.  But I've seen My Twinn fans compare the vinyl on the older Twinns to porcelain, and it still becomes malleable when heated.  So I don't know about Real Baby.  It's not a big hairy deal since Geneva's eyes are fine, but I'm curious.  If any of y'all know, let me know.

And that should do it for Geneva for now.  I'll remain on the lookout for cute little dresses, but for the foreseeable future Quacky Cords will be what my Real Baby wears.

Cheers,
RagingMoon1987 

2 comments:

  1. Out of the four outfits, that's the one I would have chosen too. Second would be the overalls, because who doesn't love overalls? They look a bit too much like Kid Sister's though. I wonder if Geneva started out life a bit softer. Vinyl can harden over time, and she's getting up there in years. Another thing Geneva has going for her is that she still has her hair! Real Baby dolls tend to go bald, Unsentimental Niece had one way back when they were new, and hers was bald even then. Geneva does appear to have the beginnings of one Real Baby malady though, and that's paling out . I hope she stays where she is with that. If not, you could probably use human makeup to give her her complexion back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Kid Sister...I think she and My Buddy are kinda goofy, and my Cabbies have more overalls than one can shake a stick at. Not that I hate overalls, LOL.

      Yep, I remember what Unsentimental Niece called her Real Baby, LOL again. It sounds like a name my own sister would come up with. We talked about Geneva having fade spots when I took her on, and to be quite frank, they don't bother me as much as they used to. That said, I have considered giving makeup a go on her, just to see if it would work. NBD if it does, but I'm curious. And yeah, I'd forgotten how some vinyl stiffens as it ages. My old Softina doll is like that.

      Delete