Looking for something?

Friday, October 8, 2021

A quick look at Tumbling Tomboy

I promise that this one truly will be quick...or at least, quicker than Bopsy's review.  Long story short, my best friend is moving and wants to get rid of some stuff.  Recently I paid her a visit, and when I showed interest in this doll she gave her to me.  She is Tumbling Tomboy, from Remco.  Ideal later took the idea over, if what I read is correct. 

I apologize for Tomboy's terrible posture; the doll's head is permanently tipped back, a position that is necessary for effective somersaults.  Besides, I doubt anyone at Remco ever dreamed that fifty years after their doll was a thing there'd be goofballs like me who like taking pictures of their dolls.  Anyway, Ideal had the monopoly on dolls that "did stuff" back during the sixties and seventies, but they were by no means the only toy company that did so.  Heidi and her friends waved, Baby Laugh a Lot laughed like a friggin' psycho, and Tomboy tumbled.  She was joined by Tippy Tumbles (not to be confused with Tippy Tumblelina) and Timmy Tumbles, and all three had the same tumbling gimmick.  I'd also count Dune Buggy Baby as a member of the family, because she drives a car similar to the ones the Tumble Bunch had (she too had painted eyes). They were all run by D batteries and a controller that plugged into the doll's ankle.  See my doll's port?

My doll does NOT tumble, as she doesn't have her controller with her, but I bet I could find one!  No, what drew me to this little minx was her face.

She's got freckles, green eyes, AND a lopsided smile.  What's not to like?  Okay, I know this doll won't be to everyone's liking, but she captured my fancy.  I think she'll make a good friend for Velvet.

Not bad!  Both dolls are blonde and smirky, but they also both have unique expressions and unique eye colors...and radically different body measurements.  They're the same height, but that's it.

Here's a better look at Tomboy's eyes.  They're not poison green like Bopsy's but a more natural shade.

I love green eyes!  These are a significantly different shade from the neon green eyes my old Felicity doll has, but I love them anyway.  I wonder which shade is the more natural:  Felicity's or Tomboy's?

I don't guess it matters too much, but I'm curious.  As an aside, I had a chuckle when I saw Tomboy's slacks.

How late sixties/seventies can a doll get?  LOL, my mother hated plaid pants with the soundest of passions.  "They made my a$$ look huge!!!" is how she put it.  I think Tomboy lucked out there, though I doubt that she cares much, being a Tomboy and all.  All three of these dolls were comfortably dressed, since one can't really do somersaults in tight clothes...unless you've got a role in Cats, that is.

So that's my quick look at Tumbling Tomboy, whom I didn't even know existed until now.  A quick perusal of Tam's blog shows Tippy Tumbles in action, so I must've had my head up my butt on that Doll-a-Day post.  Tumbling Tomboy won't win any beauty contests, but I love her smirky, dimpled, freckled face and those unique eyes.  Seriously, so many blonde dolls have blue eyes, so it's nice to see something break the mold a little.  Now I need to come up with a pet name that's less of a mouthful than "Tumbling Tomboy."  I'm leaning towards "Jordyn," since that name has become gender-neutral, and in honor of the Fierce Five gymnast, Jordyn Wieber.  My doll doesn't look a thing like Miss Wieber, but...oh well.  "Jordyn" has already made a couple'a new friends, specifically Reagan O'Connor and my newest American Girl, Priscilla Llewellyn.

So cute!

Much love,
RagingMoon1987

6 comments:

  1. I much prefer Tumbling Tomboy to Tippy Tumbles. I did manage to get one not too long ago. I haven't found time to feature her yet. She has her controller, and I haven't tried that out yet either! There are never any D batteries around this place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, D batteries ARE tough to find! I looked for some yesterday and can't find any! I'll be keeping an eye out for your Tomboy; I love her little face!

      Delete
  2. Oh, Jordyn looks like a stinker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in the 90s, one of my younger sisters had several pocket sized dolls called Teeny Tumbles Surprise that could somersault due to how the dolls were weighted, no batteries required.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete