Looking for something?

Saturday, July 1, 2023

Random Barbie buzz

Confession time:  I'm not a tremendous silent movie fan.  Not yet, anyway.  I don't hate them, but I can count the number of silents I've seen on one finger.  Thus it might surprise y'all that I was delighted to see who debuted as a Barbie back in May.
I've been living under a rock for the past month, okay?  For the uninitiated, the doll is done up like silent film actress Anna May Wong.  Anna May was kinda ahead of her time; remember that during the era of silent movies the country was a lot more racist than it is now, and if you were any color other than white you could forget about being some kind of star...unless you were a jazz musician, or Josephine Baker.  Okay, there were exceptions back then, and Anna May was one of those.  She was seventeen when she got her first big role, that of Lotus Flower in a loose remake of Madama Butterfly.  Ms. Wong even made a successful transition to movies with sound ("talkies"), something that not all silent film stars could do.  She had to put up with racism and stereotypes for much of her career, but she stuck it out and was active in acting until her untimely death in 1961 (she was sadly a heavy drinker and had been unhealthy for some time).  She truly was a gem, one that richly deserves to be immortalized as Barbie.  By the way, I think it's so ironic that Anna May Wong's family was delighted to have a doll in their family member's likeness, but Frida Kahlo's decedents were...well, NOT happy.  Granted, Mattel didn't get the rights from the family to use Ms. Kahlo's likeness as a doll...but if that's the case then shouldn't the family be PO'd at the folk dolls on Etsy?  It makes one wonder.  Either way Anna May has been out for awhile, and I'm going to want her in my collection...someday.  I have been taking it easy with Barbie lately since I have so many already.  But this one, I like a lot.  Anna May Wong, Margot Robbie, and Fashionista #208 are all on my wish list right now, and I know if I'm patient enuff I'll find #208 in the local Wal-Mart.  Despite my complaining in the past, my local Wal-Mart does eventually get the new stuff.

In other news, I found this on Buzzfeed Thursday afternoon.  Apparently the author asked an AI app to show what the various states would look like as Barbie dolls.  Here's what Missouri looks like; to my delight, she's a little redhead.
For reasons unknown, Miss Nevada got pink hair.
I kinda wish that some of the dolls had some reference to the state they represent.  Arkansas could've had a few rhinestones on her to simulate diamonds, for example.  But it was the AI's decision so I won't complain.  Miss Emily puttered around with a similar AI app not too long ago, and the results were...humorous, to say the least!  A link to the article can be found HERE.

Then Friday morning I found THIS news story, about the most valuable Barbie dolls ever made.  To my considerable surprise, one of my childhood friends made the list.  Totally Hair Barbie was extremely popular in her day, and nowadays she can sometimes retail for as high as $160 American, provided she's in-box and in good shape.  A doll with that much hair isn't always in good shape, LOL.  Here's a reminder of what Totally Hair Barbie looks like;  even though she's a product of the nineties, her dress is sixties-flavored.
I gotta admit that she's cute, but y'all won't catch me dead paying $160 for her.  Hell, I paid that for my most expensive AG doll (Lark), and even then I called myself crazy.  What can I say, I thought Lark was adorable and wanted to own her!  I got a giggle out of Ferrari Barbie being on the list too, since Ferraris are ridiculously expensive.  Thus it would make sense that a doll designed after a luxury car would be kinda luxurious herself.  I wonder which Ferrari Barbie the list means, though?  This oneThis one?  The article says the doll had the Ferrari logo in diamonds as a headpiece, so it must be this one.
She is gorgeous indeed, but I won't be adding that one to my collection either.  Not anytime soon, anyway.  The list was rounded out by one of the Monique Lhuillier brides, a Bob Mackie design, and Athena (she's just a girl!)...and guess what?  Those three were the bottom five in an eighty-five-doll list!  Blond Diamond got #66.  Y'all remember her?  I talked about her back when she and the blog were young, and she was controversial.  A Day of the Dead doll, also controversial and dearly loved by Yours Truly, tied with Blond Diamond, as did Maiko Barbie, whom I loved when I was a teenager.  A bunch of 'em tied for the sixty-sixth slot, LOL.  Color Magic Barbie got the fifty-fifth slot, the first vintage doll that I saw (and again, one of my favorites).  Indeed, I usually specialize in the vintage, before-I-was-born stuff, and I was pleased to see vintage dolls occupying slots #43, #33, #29 through #26, #26, #24 through #18, #16 through #14 (#16 was just a dress!), #8 and #7, and #5 and #4.  No, the original Barbie did not get the number one slot, to my considerable surprise.  #29, #26, #21, #19, #18, the dress at #16, were foreign releases, and that alone drives the price up for us Yanks.  If y'all want to see who they are, you get to read the list yourself!  And if any of y'all own any of the dolls on that list, it should be remembered that to be worth all of that money the doll must be mint in her box.  Guess who HATES keeping her dolls in their boxes???  <raises hand>  If I've got a gorgeous doll like Maiko Barbie, I'm busting her out of that box and letting her meet the crew.  To hell with resale value (and the raggedy, LOL).  I did it for Lucy, after all.  This one is represents the episode "The Audition," by the way; my Vitameatavegimin doll still resides on the island (I can't believe that post is ten years old now), but she's currently out of reach in my doll room.
Lucy wasn't on the list, and her box was in terrible shape, but my point still stands.  I want to have fun with my girls, not resell them.  Now if I had the Improvers Island Steel promotional doll I'd leave her in situ, because there's only four of them known in existence, but for the most part I prefer to play with my dolls, even the vintage ones.

What does my mama's old #3 Barbie have to say about all of it?
"Meh.  That's what I say."

#3 Barbie did make it onto the list, but she was blonde, had blue eyeshadow, and was in superb condition.  My mother's doll has obviously been played with, both by Mama and by me, and she's not too impressed with what she calls "those big shots" on the list.  She'd rather pal around with Lucy.
Barbie:  "Pardon me, Miss Lucy, but I love your show!"
Lucy:  "💖💖💖"

I do too, Barbie!  I Love Lucy and The Andy Griffith Show are prime examples of how comedy should be!  Indeed, Don Knotts and Lucille Ball remind me a bit of each other, the way they act through facial expressions as well as goofy scripts.

Love,
RagingMoon1987

10 comments:

  1. I have always had mixed feelings about Barbie, but I have to agree Anna May Wong is a beautiful doll, so is the Ferrari Barbie, however, there are some listed in your link which I would definitely shy away from, even if they were offered to me for free. Some of those faces are extremely ugly and the fashions so over the top UGH! In saying that, I did find one Barbie that I would really love to bring home ~ 1920s Silkstone Barbie (she would be perfect for my White Panther Jazz Club). Who ever would have guessed I'd find a Barbie that I actually liked enough to bring home?? LOL!

    I enjoyed this post immensely.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed! This was actually kinda one of those spur-of-the-moment posts that mushroomed into something more labor-intensive. And I'll warn you: once you have one Barbie, it's kinda hard to stop! LOL, you chose wisely, though! I've never owned a Silkstone doll myself. I hope you can find one for yourself!

      Delete
  2. I didn't know there was an Anna May Wong Barbie. I did however save one of the Anna May Wong quarters. I expect Frida's family aren't as upset over the Etsy dolls because they aren't produced in such large numbers, making as much money, and because they are artists' creations themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would make sense, yes. From what I've read Frida's communism still runs pretty strong in her family, so corporations like Mattel are evil.

      Delete
  3. I remember seeing a 'biography' of Barbie that one of my aunts had taped off of cable TV where a male Barbie doll collector being interviewed stated that Pink Splendor Barbie (#66 on the list) was to him the epitome of everything that Barbie was, or something.
    Also, I'm pretty sure I read that the black-haired, Midnight Color Magic Barbies are more desirable than the blonds, because as the black hair ages it tends to fade to red without the use of the color-change solution. As a result, it is apparently extremely rare to find a black-haired Color Magic doll that still has black hair, even if left mint in box.
    One of my sisters actually had Totally Hair Barbie back in the day, along with at least one of the sold separately Totally Hair fashions.
    I actually got my only Silkstone dolls secondhand at a flea market, if you can believe that. The guy who sold them to me had a whole table full, and I'm guessing that he'd inherited a deceased relative's collection or something because he was pricing the dolls way cheap. Unfortunately, I think I may have ruined the good deal for any customers who came by after me, because after me and my dad paid for what I'd bought the seller asked me if I had a lot of them and without thinking I answered honestly, "No, I can't afford them." The seller then gave me a look like he had no idea the dolls were worth anything and that he was internally kicking himself for selling them to me so cheap.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, maybe that seller will do his homework next time! Always, always research if you're gonna sell! Which Silkie did you get? I don't like all of those but I've seen a few that I liked (unsurprisingly, most of 'em were redheads).

      I bet that guy you saw on TV was Stanley Colorite or something like that. I knew him for a very short while on Failbook and he was insane. Insane in a good way, mind you, but insane. His collection was amazing.

      Unsurprisingly, the Color Magic dolls with red hair are my favorites, oxidized or no. I love that deep red shade...and for that matter the Color Magic dolls are just awesome, period. Their faces were so pretty.

      Delete
  4. I got Lingerie Barbie #5, which was the first African-American Silkstone Barbie. I forget exactly how far back it was that I bought her, but most of the dolls the seller had were in various forms of lingerie, which were common attire for the early Silkstone dolls.
    A word of advice, if you ever acquire a Silkstone doll of your own. The elastic joints on these dolls can become quite floppy over time, and the original corset style lingerie with garters give the doll bodies needed support and stability. So, if you plan to redress a Silkstone doll that is still wearing her original lingerie, try to find clothes that will fit over the lingerie, rather than undressing the doll.
    I found this out the hard way with my #5. Her joints are now too floppy to do anything with her, and I can't get her back into her lingerie because parts of it were originally stitched together in some places and idiot me cut the threads. I also bought a Continental Holiday Giftset Silkstone Barbie (without her included outfit pieces but dressed in her original lingerie) at the same time, and she's just been sitting on a shelf because I've been too afraid to try doing anything else with her.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite Silkie was always Dusk to Dawn Barbie, with the red hair and the long purple skirt. Never did get her, but she's always been one of my favorites.

      I had no idea those undergarments were sewn onto those lingerie dolls! I'd always assumed that they were meant to be redressed like every other Barbie in the world! What a bummer, but I guess it kinda makes sense. Thanks for the 411; I had no idea. I'll keep that in mind if I ever bring a Silkie of any sort home. I heard that those dolls can be restrung, so if you're worried about #5's wellbeing you can send her to someone who knows what to do.

      Delete
    2. It's strange, because I know the Continental Holiday Silkstone Barbie originally came dressed in lingerie but also came with an actual outfit. I'm assuming the outfit was designed to go over the lingerie. But since I never had the outfit, I don't actually know.
      Signed, Treesa

      Delete
    3. Dusk to Dawn came packaged in her skivvies too. I can only guess that her clothes were meant to go over her lingerie. If I ever get her I'll let you know.

      Delete