Looking for something?

Sunday, March 26, 2023

Sunday randomness: an elephant!

When I was little I was easily frightened, particularly at night when I couldn't see what was going on.  Shortly after my parents put me in my "big girl bed" some idiot across the street decided to leave at three-o'clock in the morning, with radio blaring and lights blazing.  The conversation ensued as follows:

ME (panic-stricken):  DADDY!!!
DADDY (sleepily but patiently):  What is it, baby?
ME:  What's makin' all that noise out there???
DADDY (dramatically):  An elephant!

I later learned that it was our sweet old neighbor's trailer-trash granddaughter going out to do God knows what, but I never forgot Daddy joking with me even though I'd woken him up.  He was a good daddy, and I think about him a lot this time of year, since he died on March 5th, and his birthday was April 15th.  Daddy was an elephant enthusiast, so when I saw these at Wal-Mart recently I thought of him.
His name is Bunny, and he has a carrot theme.  Bunny is a member of a group of brightly colored elephants in the Pop Art Soft collection.  They come in a larger size and in a miniature blind bag size, and true to advertisements they are very soft.  I keep Bunny at my workstation, and one day last week a little kid saw him and wanted one of her own.  I told her that if she did get one I wanted to see it, and a few hours later the child came toddling in with her own elephant.
According to the slip this one's name is Barry, and since he's printed with strawberries that's a fitting name.  He too is one of the blind bags, and he and Bunny look cute together.  They kinda remind me of the stuffed elephant that Melody Ellison has in her collection.
I guess Bunny is more of a girl's name, but after a childhood of making all my favorite toys girls I wanna make up for it a bit.  Either way these are super-cute and might make good little gifts for upcoming Easter baskets.

Cheers and giant steps,
RagingMoon1987

4 comments:

  1. Oh they are too cute. But real rabbit owners know that bunny should be covered in bananas! Bugs Bunny was an aberration. I like the story behind the elephant too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought "Bunny" was kind of a goofy name for my elephant, but it's easy to remember.

      Delete
  2. Very cute RM, I really like your Bunny's "skin" it's such a cheerful one! His earthy feet really made me smile.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they make more of these; they're very clever!

      Delete