Looking for something?

Saturday, March 25, 2023

A study in opposites, and a milestone, and a tornado

Ah, March 25th!  If you're a fan of Sir Elton John or Aretha Franklin then the day will be important (the two singers shared a birthday), and for me it's a somewhat humorous anniversary (twelve years ago today I broke my ankle in comical fashion).  But before I go on a music binge, a quick little post.  In the fairly distant future I have reviews planned for this wildly contrasting pair of dolls.
The lanky purple-haired girl is named Mar, and she is a Paola Reina poppet.  The baby in green recently made an appearance on Tam's blog (don't all dolls that I eventually own appear there first?), and she is Little Honeymoon.  Yes, my love affair with Ideal dolls is alive and well, y'all; Baby Honeymoon is my latest...and sadly, she may be my last for quite awhile.  Mama says that with the economy being what it is, we as a family need to focus on necessities and not things like dolls and doll clothes.  That's a bummer, but I know she's right so we made a deal:  if it's unique and affordable, I get it.  If it's not, I don't.  Done deal.  So Mar and Honeymoon may be my last new dolls for awhile, but that will have very little effect on the blog, as I've got plenty of stuff to review.  

In other news, the Mississippi Delta got hit hard by a tornado last night.  As of writing at least 21 are dead, and Rolling Fork and Silver City got all but flattened.  As with the incidents at Joplin and at Mayfield, I'm waiting to hear a rating and a final death toll.  Them folks need prayers and donations if y'all can.  The Mississippi Delta seems to be a magnet for such storms; in 1971 several towns in the area got clobbered and at least one (a little place called Pugh City) got wiped out completely.  Then in 2010 Yazoo City got hit THREE times, once in April and twice in November.  There was an interesting and tragic twist on the 1971 storm; racism was unfortunately still prevalent in the area, and because most of the dead and injured were poor and/or black not much attention was paid by the rest of the country.  Sad, right?  And that wasn't the first time that race played a role in the attention and the aid a stricken area received.  Far from it; examples of that can be found in 1955 at Commerce Landing, and in 1969 at Hazlehurst.  Experts flat out denied that the Commerce Landing tornado was a tornado, despite multiple people seeing the funnel with their own eyes!  In this day and age the Commerce Landing incident would've brought national attention, because most of the fatalities were schoolchildren...but not back then.  Thankfully times have changed, and I predict that the folks in Rolling Fork, Silver City, and the surrounding areas will have help in no time.  Indeed, Ryan Hall had sixty thousand dollars in donations within thirty minutes of opening up his donation tab.  That said, it'll still take a long time to rebuild.  It always does.

Here's to hoping that y'all are weathering the tanking economy and the storms the best you can.  Mama and I have made it through both fine so far, but we're taking precautions for both just the same.  

All of my love,
RagingMoon1987

4 comments:

  1. I still think the illustration of Honeymoon is cuter than the doll. I have a few of those Paola Reina's, but none of mine have purple hair. I like it. I am so sorry about the storms and unfortunately I already know Missouri had its own problems with racism. So stupid, we all bleed red.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good night, yes. The racism thankfully is not as prevalent here in my part of Missouri; we're all poor to working class, we all shop at the same stores, we all eat at the same eat joints, and we all attend the same lousy school. I'm just thankful that in my little hometown we get along. But in St. Louis...oh, that was bad, there in Ferguson!

      Delete
  2. Hi RM,
    Don't you just love those Paola Reina dolls? So cute. Have never seen, or even heard of a Honeymoon doll before, I always learn stuff when I come here. :)
    Sorry to read about the weather problems you are having over there, we don't have tornados here in Oz, but we do have cyclones which I think are similar, but I don't think we receive as much damage as you do in the States. Nevertheless, people all over the world are suffering right now and it's very sad.
    Stay safe, big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once in a great while Australia does get tornadoes, but it's pretty rare. Cyclones, now...oh, I've read about those! We call those hurricanes here in the States.

      LOL, Paola Reina dolls are addictive! I do still intend to get a Gorjuss doll, but for now Mar will do just fine. Be sure to read Tam's entry on Little Honeymoon, because she has more information than I provided, AND because she's the reason I got my doll.

      Delete