Looking for something?

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

So random, part five

Back again, you lucky people!  I've been doing a lot with the Cabbage Patch lately, so these first few pictures will be of them.  My friend from Newfoundland (and probably the other admins of that Cabbie group) introduced themes for the days of the week, so a lot of my pictures this time will be from those.  That said, this first doll is definitely NOT a Cabbage Patch Kid.  August 5th.
Little Maya got a new raincoat and boots with frogs on them.  There was no rain in the forecast at the time, but I threw the outfit on her anyway to see how it looked.  It fits over her sewn clothes pretty well, and she looks adorable...if you like Baby Alive dolls with their flat heads, LOL.

August 6th.  I DIDN'T share this one on the Cabbie group, but it's how I imagine Beryl June would look if she were taking a selfie.
Beryl June became extremely popular in the Cabbie group for reasons I've yet to establish.  My friend from Newfoundland has already said that if we meet I may not get Beryl back!  I offered to trade her...for Newfoundland's favorite Cabbie, a violet-eyed brunette named after Sarah Jane Smith.  Of course that offer was a hard NO, LOL.  We all have our special Cabbies; Beryl June is mine, and Sarah Jane is hers.  More on that at eleven.

August 8th.  Toybox Thursdays are for Cabbies and their toys.  I don't have much in the way of toys for my Kids, but Valencia Rose does have Titania Rosalind.
Treesa, if you're out there, I've gotten more mileage out of that little Playmate, and I thank you kindly.  She's not a dead ringer for Val (their eyes are different), but most folks don't car about that.  I notice hair before I notice eyes, and Titania's eyes are a lovely shade of blue.

Also on August 8th, I got this random picture of Matthew Tommie, Lucey Dena, and Ginger.
I got in the mood to change Lucey's clothes that evening, but y'all will get a better look at that in a bit.  Usually Lucey wears her blue and pink dress, but she and I were both in the mood for a change.  When it gets closer to fall I'll put Matt in something new too.  Mama got a cute plaid hoodie set, and the colors will look nice on him.

August 11th, Failbook memory from 2021.  After foolishly not buying her the first time she was available, I bought Dot Starlight.  Here she is in her box...
...and out.
I'm bitterly disappointed that the Lalaloopsy revival didn't last long, but it did allow me to grab Dot without having to pay a ridiculous price on eBay.  Dot's garish yellow hair doesn't geehaw well with the rest of her coloring, and that was why I initially eschewed her.  I still don't love it...yeah, actually, now I do.  Dot stands out in a crowd. 

Also August 11th.  This is an outtake from Kiara's review. 
Carrie can do what Kiara can't:  flop around adorably.  But Kiara can sit up if braced from the back, so it's all good. 

August 12th.  Bae Day Monday was for lemon-haired Cabbies.  I have two, Alexandra Claire and Poppy Elizabeth. 
Poppy is a reroot, if I recall correctly, but that doesn't bother me.  Reroots are embraced in that group.  As for Alexandra Claire...maybe she's more lemoncello than lemon, but that didn't matter to my friends.  In the future though, I may class her as golden-haired and pair her with Candela Laura.

August 13th.  Take-Me-Home Tuesdays are for Cabbies that one obtained locally, which for me is easy since I only have one.
Found Andrea Doria at Dexter about seven years ago.  Someone took pretty good care of her since she has her original outfit, ponytail holder and all.  But as I've said before her hair was pretty tortured, and she looked like she'd literally been plucked from a lifeboat.  So I gave her a hug, asked "How much for this one?", was told...maybe it was two bucks.  I know I got one doll for free from that shop, but now that I think about it I think Penny Brite was the one I got for free.  Andrea Doria cost me two bucks.  Two.  There was another Cabbie there, a little boy with a sweet face, but he had pox pretty bad so I didn't take him.  Poor thing, maybe I should've.  Pox can't be fixed, but it can be concealed or lightened.  Besides, it's not like Andrea doesn't have flaws of her own.  See?
Andrea fell victim to someone with a pen, just like Idalia Gale did.  I don't know why some little kids think it's alright to mark on their toys with a stinkin' pen!  It wasn't like Cabbies were cheap back in the day, and even if they WERE cheap toys aren't for marking on!

August 14th.  Wednesday Wearables, or Cabbies modelling a new or cute outfit.  Three of my girls are wearing new threads.
LOL, three of my blue-eyed blondes!  Allie Kathleen's favorite color is yellow, and I got her a new dress in that color scheme since the Velcro gave out on her old one.  The Etsy shop is one of my favorite go-tos for Cabbie clothes, pac44.  Poppy Elizabeth is a big doll and can wear baby clothes, so her stuff is Garanimals in size 0-3 months.  Frankly, I think even that is a bit big, especially in the shirt.  As for Lucey Dena, her little outfit is...more for fall, but fall isn't that far off.  It's a tagged Cabbage Patch getup, and Mama got it for me.  

August 17th.  I had my Rainbow High and Shadow High dolls out in preparation for another post, and Mama took a liking to Natasha Zima and Shanelle Onyx.
Mama says she likes the Shadow High bunch enuff to put them on display in the front room.  She likes my Monster High bunch too.  I think putting them up front sounds like a plan!

August 19th was another Bae Day Monday, this time for brunettes.  At the time I had five of them on hand and two tinies back at Casa del Luna. 
The big ones are Julie Emmalee, Beryl June, and Lesley Emily.  The small ones are Carol Kasey and Skye Kitty.  Skye was hanging out behind Little Honeymoon in my last post, and sharp-eyed Treesa saw her.
I love the jewel-toned eyes on these Mattel Kids!  Carol Kasey's eyes are a lovely shade of green, while Lucey Dena and Skye Kitty have blue eyes.  
Brown Mattel eyes look like chocolate milk.  Mmmmm, I love chocolate milk.  Recently Treesa has been showing me some of her childhood Cabbies, and that's only cemented my fondness for Mattel Kids.  Hers are freaking adorable (one of 'em has chocolate milk eyes), and it's a tremendous treat to see them.  

August 20th, memory from last year.
The doll on the left is a Sekiguchi La Cheri doll that I named Olivia, and the doll on the right is my beloved Sasha.  I had planned on reviewing Olivia and was running down the similarities that she has with Sasha, but I realized that Olivia is very similar in function and in body type to my Munecas Geli, Renata.  Both are lapsitter types with soft bodies and vinyl limbs, and there's just not a lot to say about them.  Olivia is sweet, though.  She has brown eyes and blonde hair, a combo my mama loves.

August 22nd.  Another Failbook memory from last year. 
Crissy, Look Around Velvet, Sasha, and Aimee.  My ham-handed attempts to rid Crissy and Velvet of mold ended up wrecking their eyes, so it'll be a long time before they appear in the blog again.  The Talky Velvet that Tam sent me remains healthy, and for some weird reason, so does Aimee.  Even though she's from the same era as Crissy and Velvet, she doesn't get mold.  Or at least mine hasn't.  As for Sasha, I think it would take a nuke to kill her.  She's tough as nails.

And now for the eleven o'clock news.  August 24th.  Meet Elisabeth Clara, another brunette.
When I saw this girl on eBay she reminded me of the aforementioned Sarah Jane.  Indeed, the two dolls are almost exactly the same except for head molds.  As I said above, Newfoundland named Sarah Jane after the one and only Sarah Jane Smith, so I named Elisabeth after Sarah Jane's actress, Elisabeth Clara Sladen.  Neither doll looks much like Ms. Sladen (she had dark eyes and and reddish brown hair, and I thought she was quite pretty), but...oh well.  Elisabeth hails from Taiwan's UT2 factory and has the uber-rosy cheeks that UT factories are known for.  She's also a little yellowed (again a hallmark of a UT doll), but Valencia Rose is yellowed too.  See?  Some Cabbies just age like that.
Actually, they don't look too bad after all!  They're certainly not as bad off as my drooled-on pillow, LOL.  Elisabeth is just a sweet little doll.  It tickled the snot out of my friend to see a Sarah Jane lookalike.  Elisabeth is only my second violet-eyed Cabbie, by the way; Andrea Doria was the first.

August 26th.  Bae Day Monday's theme that week was wheat and champagne hair.  I have three of those.  From left, Idalia Gale, Kitrick Randolph Fergus, and Allie Kathleen.  This picture was taken before Allie got her new dress.
I guess Randolph would count as a subcategory of wheat (his hair is a rusty shade).  As I noted in Randolph's introduction, the foreign factories tended to march to the beat of their own drums, and a lot of unusual hair colors came from Spain, from Japan, from Mexico and South Africa.  Not ugly colors, mind y'all, just kinda different.  

Later that same evening I caught Morgan and Elisabeth Clara getting to know each other. 
I think Elisabeth envies Morgan's bows.  She'll have her own soon enuff.

I apologize for the glut of cabbage, y'all.  I don't want good pictures to go to waste, so...here they are!  Maybe I should call these posts "Cabbage Clippings!"

Love,
RagingMoon1987 

6 comments:

  1. Yay, The Patch is Back. I also have to say I agree with you that Little Maya's new look is adorable. But then, raingear makes any doll instantly cuter.
    As for why Beryl June is so popular with your online group, from what you've told us readers, 'Cabbie' collectors love them some popcorn kids.
    I'm glad that the Cabbage Patch Kids Playmate, Titania Rosalind, was such a big hit with you. I'll have to keep that in mind for future reference. It is kind of cool how her blue eyes coordinate so well with her dress.
    Speaking of dresses, Lucey Dena looks great in her new fall outfit. Though I'm glad I was able to find her misplaced denim skirt and send it to you. I feel better knowing that you have all of Lucey's surviving accessories. I just hope I haven't compelled you to start frantically searching online for a replacement top and tights to go with the skirt and jacket. I wouldn't want to make more work for you.
    Also, I'll have to double check the tags on my childhood Cabbage Patch Kids, but I'm pretty sure some of the older ones are Hasbro and not Mattel. I wanted you to know this because I thought that information might be helpful to you later on, since you apparently sought out a look-alike of another online friend's 'Cabbie' that you took a liking to. Elisabeth Clara is a sweetie though, so I guess I don't really blame you. Especially since I recently paid more than I should have for a dressed Jakks Pacific Cabbage Patch baby because she had the cutest tuft of red cornsilk hair with a little bow. Friends don't let friends shop eBay at 5 AM. How much do you want to bet that when the doll arrives, it'll turn out that the lighting was off in the photo and that she might actually be a brunette? I'll let you know the final verdict once I get her. Will I still be keeping an eye out online for a reasonably priced, Cabbage Patch Kids Teeny Tiny Preemie with painted hair? Probably.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hasbro Cabbies; I was just talking to Mama yesterday about how cute they are. Basically I look for aesthetics and check tags later, LOL. I like the Teeny Tiny Preemies too. I'd completely forgotten about them until you reminded me, actually, and then when I saw the size I remembered that that's what my sister had as a baby. Hers was a little boy, and I'll never forget how nice he smelled! Shucks, I hope your dolly does have red hair! I thought Kory Aryan was a brunette, but the longer I looked at him the more I realized that he's a redhead. So I'll cross my fingers for you!

    I thank you a bunch for sending Lucey's skirt. I haven't started grubbing for a T-shirt yet, but I do keep my eyes peeled. The other pieces are too cute not to be worn! And oh yes, Titania Rosalind made a big splash with my bunch! I'd love to find a little boy Playmate too...someday. Not today; I bought a Cabbie for someone else today, believe it or not.

    Regarding Beryl June, yeah, my friends love popcorn girls...but for some reason they REALLY love her, way more than all the other popcorns in the group. And get this: Newfoundland Friend says she usually doesn't like Beryl June's head (#10), but again, she likes my doll.

    Speaking of raincoats...I NEED TO FIND MY CABBAGE PATCH RAIN PONCHO!!!!!!!! I still haven't dug out that box of stuff, but believe you me, it's adorable. You take care of yourself, chica, and give your Cabbies an air hug for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Titania Rosalind. I think she's cuter than the bigger cabbies, which might be sacrilege. I have Natasha and Shanelle too. Shanelle has been featured on the blog, but not Natasha. I found her harder to photograph. I saw someone change Natasha into a ghost character, which I thought was really awesome, although I had also thought how impressive Natasha would look as a ghost. I will get a new Natasha if I want to try that, though.
    I never knew there were so many differences between Cabbage Patch dolls until you started talking about them. I have one from when I was a teenager, but she got turned over to my daughters. When I come across her, I should try to put up some pics for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely do that when you find her; I love seeing other people's dolls! Yeah, when I was just starting the Cabbie hobby I thought that when you'd seen one you'd seen 'em all. That's definitely not the case, though they are all recognizable as Cabbage Patch Kids.

      Funny that you'd have issues with Natasha Zima, as I always have trouble catching the beauty of my darkest dolls. Not a one of them is ugly, but their pictures are underwhelming at best. But then I only use my cell phone, so that may be part of it.

      Delete
  4. Another nice array of dollies RM. Though I cannot help thinking of catching my granny with out her teeth in when I look at your Cabbies. LOL! It's nice to see your pretty Sasha in amongst them.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, the Patch DOES look toothless! I think that may be because they're supposed to be very small children, and small children have few or no teeth. I'll see if I can't do more with Sasha in the future; she deserves more than what I give her.

      Delete