Looking for something?

Friday, February 16, 2024

Under the cabbage leaf: a bright spot

It's getting to the point where this blog is more of a diary than anything.  My allergies have thankfully ebbed, but I spent most of the fourteenth in a bad mood despite having cute new clothes for two of my Cabbies.  It was Valentine's Day, of course, and I hate being alone on Valentine's Day.  A friend of mine died suddenly during the weekend and I didn't get to go to visitation, and I was kinda in a funk about that.  Then a friend of Uncle Man-Child's got diagnosed with heart failure.  Now, I like this friend of Uncle Man-Child's.  She's a nice lady and has been incredibly kind to the whole family, and she's scared so I'm praying for her.  But ever since he heard Uncle Man-Child has mooned around like his friend had been diagnosed with glioblastoma, whining and moaning and all but putting on ashes and sackcloth.  He certainly didn't do that when Mama was so sick two years ago, and he didn't do it when Grandma was dying either.  All he cared about during Mama's illness was who was gonna pay his stupid gym dues.  He assumed that I was gonna do it, but I slapped him with the reality of vet bills and my own life.

Oh yeah, and it took forever for this poppet to get here.  She was scheduled to arrive on February 13th, but the thirteenth came, and then the fourteenth came, and finally yesterday came and she arrived.  Cape Girardeau is eighty miles away, but she tarried there for three lousy days.  But...well, the postal service can't help it, and I can't either, not really.  She's here now and her presence cheered me tremendously.  Meet Julie Emmalee.
Here's her papers; she came with everything except the exterior of her box.
I titled the post "a bright spot," and Julie is that in more ways than one.  Not only did she cheer me up tremendously, but she also glows in the dark...or parts of her do.  She's also from the Play Along/Jakks Pacific era, meaning that she's got a deliriously happy face.
I love comparing these more recent dolls to dolls from the early Coleco era.  Idalia Gale and Cara Raelean are happy dolls, but they aren't as joyful-looking as Leslie Emily and Julie Emmalee are.
And yet all four of 'em are recognizable as Cabbage Patch Kids!  There's no getting around it!  It's coincidence that Leslie and Julie have variants of the same middle name, by the way.  Julie's name is spelled "Emmalee," so since I'm a grit I usually pronounce it "emma-leeeeeeee," with the stress on the last syllable.

The outer part of Julie's box is long gone, but I learned from her wrist tag that the Cabbage Patch's legendary Bunnybees are indirectly responsible for Julie's luminous tresses.  
For the uninitiated, those crystals are what the Bunnybees scatter on the cabbages to get 'em to produce Cabbage Patch Kids.  Pay attention to the presence of those Bunnybees, because another Cabbie with a hair gimmick will be making their debut at the end of the month.  His/her gimmick came about in a totally different way.  As an aside, the legend says that Magic Glow Surprise Kids are "born glowing from head to toe," so does that mean that they're born fully clad?  Julie's body doesn't glow, but parts of her dress do, and her shoes do.  Y'all will have to take my word for it that they glow, as I don't have my blacklight with me.   

For reasons unknown I didn't prepare a huge fancy review for Julie like I did for the other doll; this is more of a once-over.  I think it was because Julie was kinda an impulse buy while my other doll was thought out long in advance.  But either way Julie Emmalee is part of my Patch now, and she is a most welcome one.  Anything that glows in the dark is a plus in my book.

Glowing love,
RagingMoon1987

4 comments:

  1. I like her outfit. It's got a sixties vibe to me. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, chica! My mama said the same thing about the dress.

      Delete
  2. You gotta love glow in the dark! Sorry you're feeling down and sorry to hear about your friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm gonna miss Calvin a lot. His friends at the adult daycare he went to said he just keeled over, and the paramedics couldn't do a thing for him. He was great. And yep, you really can't beat glow-in-the-dark stuff!

      Delete