Looking for something?

Thursday, February 22, 2024

A new lease on life

This week has been better than the last.  Uncle Man-child's friend is still sick and will need two ablations, and he's still moping around like it's the night before Doomsday, but I just ignore him.  The weather has been unusually glorious...but may take a turn for the stormy side today.  But anyway, I need another collection of stuff like I need a hole in the head, but a brief conversation on Failbook prompted the addition of another Build-a-Bear critter.  Summer Daisy was a gift, and Floppy Kitty is one I found for myself. 
Recently a lady in one of my Failbook groups found a Cabbage Patch Kid and a Floppy Kitty at her local secondhand store and decided to show them both off.  Even though the focus of the Failbook group is Cabbies, another lady focused on Floppy Kitty.  She works at Build-a-Bear, and she referred to Floppy as "one of our iconic bears."  She went on to say that she loved seeing an older Build-a-Bear get a new lease on life.

I don't know where the hell I'm going with that wild ramble, but the woman's comment made me search out a Floppy Kitty of my own.  He certainly lives up to his name!
Hmmm...I don't know how iconic a plain orange tabby can be, but this little guy IS cute!  He'll need clothes of his own, since Flaxie and Summer Daisy are both girls and he's...well, not!  Maybe I can do him up like Skimbleshanks the railway cat, LOL.  In the original poem Skimble was brown, but I remember him as a ginger.  But regardless of what he's wearing Floppy has Mama's stamp of approval.  When I cut his package open she picked him up and kissed him, so that's a positive.  

Floppy arrived with two packages of Cabbage Patch duds, and one of the packages came decorated with a checkered ribbon.  Guess who got that?
Once upon a time Ty Plush critters came with bows around their necks, so I decided to pay homage to that.  It also gives Floppy some character while he's waiting for clothes.  And do I have something cute on the way for this guy!

Floppy love,
RagingMoon1987

6 comments:

  1. I was never that crazy about Build A Bears, but I do love this cat. I managed to find one once, but I gave it away. One of these days I hope to find another one. He is indeed Floppy, which is great. Fuzz has a Build a Bear triceratops, which did survive, although, at the moment I forget where it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just love how diverse their lineup is. They've got your traditional bears, but they've also got stuff like sloths and axolotls, and the triceratops. Floppy Kitty can be found on eBay if you dig around a little.

      Delete
  2. I have precisely one Build a Bear. It's one my bestie made for me and it's wearing a Star Trek (engineering, so red shirt because I'm a Scotty fan) uniform and carrying a phaser XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yowza! Beam me up, Scotty! I bet that bear is adorable.

      Delete
  3. The Build-A-Bear Workshop Official Collector's Guide book contains an anecdote about this particular "furry friend". Reportedly when this plush was being developed, kids who were handling a test version of Floppy Kitty thought that the fur color looked like macaroni and cheese. Company representatives assumed that this was a good thing, because kids love mac and cheese, until a girl named Molly told them, "Ick, you don't eat your cat."
    Anyway, if you want to use T.S. Eliot for naming inspiration, there are plenty of Jellicle names to choose from. I had a small, kitten plush when I was little that came with the name Jennifer on her label, but I was inspired by T.S. Eliot's "The Naming Of Cats" which states that a cat "must have three different names". Jennifer was obviously what the poem refers to as "the name that the family use daily". But I also gave her a Jellicle type name Cheraswan, a combination of child-like cherub and beautiful swan. As for the third name, the poem states, "the cat itself knows, and will never confess".
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love "The Naming of Cats." I love that whole crazy book. Funny thing, we owned a cat during my teenage years, and my dad swore up and down that the cat told him his name. He turned to us and said "His name's 'Fog.' He told me so!" My dad had this weird connection with cats, so maybe Fog did indeed tell him so.

      LOL, no, you definitely don't eat your cat! I don't think Floppy looks much like mac 'n' cheese anyway, but "Macaroni" would be a cute name for a cat.

      Delete