Looking for something?

Sunday, June 12, 2022

The heat is on

It's summer now: the heat is on.  It's summer now all summer long. 
--Annie Dillard, Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, Chapter 9/Flood

That single chapter from Ms. Dillard's book made its way into one of my high school English textbooks, and while I enjoyed the whole chapter, that single line is what stayed with me.  It stayed with me because it made sense.  Summer begins when it begins, and it ends when it ends, with no regard for manmade calendars or timetables.  This year, for my area, at least, summer began today, a full week and a half before the solstice.  After a somewhat out-of-the-ordinary winter and a mild, rainy spring, the summer looks to be a hot one, or it will be if the week's predicted temperatures hold true.  Mid to high nineties are predicted clean through to next Friday, with heat indices in the low hundreds and not a drop of rain in sight.  

Usually on summer evenings my mother and I would go out to the road by Crowley's Ridge.  We'd enjoy the cool that the canopies of the trees provided, and if it was dark enuff we'd marvel at the lightning bugs.  Alas, there will be no lightning bugs for RagingMoon1987 this summer, as I'm stuck in town, where the lightning bugs rarely stray.  I'm perfectly capable of driving myself, but with Mama still out of commission it's not much fun, and with gas prices rising such leisurely drives are increasingly wasteful.  Oh, Mama's home again, with the drains still in her stomach, and she's acting more like herself, but I'm still cautious.  If she has to go back to that hospital again I'm gonna go off on a certain doctor like Castle Bravo.

Since I have no long drives and no lightning bugs at the moment, I busy myself with my dolls...when I'm not doing laundry, that is!  LOL, anyway I went back to Wal-Mart yesterday and picked up the My Life dream team captain.  I chose to name her "Jemma."

Whew, those long pajamas and fuzzy slippers are too hot for this weather!  How 'bout a change, Jemma?

That's better.  Airy is ready for the heat too, Elton John glasses and all.  Neither of these outfits came with shoes, but that bothers Airy and Jemma naught.  Indeed I'd probably be barefoot too if my yard didn't have so many thorns.  Doesn't that dress of Jemma's match her hair perfectly?

Etsy couldn't have done better, and that's saying something because Etsy has no end of nice things for dolls this size.  There isn't much else to say about Jemma since she's everything Airy is, shocking blue eyes, tight joints, and all.  Indeed, if Cititoy hadn't started tinkering around with hair colors then these dolls would all be one and the same.  Here's a closeup of Jemma's hair; as I noted a few weeks ago she's got mostly purple hair, with some green and blue mixed in, and some yellow that I initially missed.

The roots are about the same as Airy's, but Jemma's got longer hair.  

So that's my brightly-colored little pair!  I'm glad Cititoy is stepping up their game with hair colors.  Now if they'd vary up their head molds like Our Generation has then they'll really be fun little dolls!

Love y'all,
RagingMoon1987 

No comments:

Post a Comment