Looking for something?

Friday, April 26, 2019

Under the packing peanuts

I love getting packages in the mail, but I have less than positive feelings about these danged things.
Packing peanuts do have their purpose in this world, but they sure do make a huge mess!  These were both crumbly and staticky, and I had a very hard time getting them off my hands and off the item inside!  A bunch of them also wanted to blow across the yard and I had to chase them, LOL.

Under the peanuts and sheathed in copious bubblewrap was this young lady!
She's a Nishi geisha doll, not terribly unlike the one my great-aunt brought back from Okinawa.  I've not yet paired this doll with Yoshiko so I don't know how they relate to each other in terms of size, but this new doll looks like she may be bigger.  She will be named "Higo," after the female protagonist in the old Japanese tale "The Willow Wife."  Said tale could potentially make you weep great tears of sorrow, so tread with caution.  Anyway, Higo is home and safe, and later on in the year I'll probably review her and Yoshiko together.  Y'all may have to wait awhile, though!

Much love,
RagingMoon1987

4 comments:

  1. Interesting doll RM, I'm curious as to what you are going to do with her though. I mean she's not your usual doll, more of an ornamental doll and a bit like one my brother brought back from Japan for my mother many moons ago.
    Big hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, she is VERY different than what I usually like. I already have one, so this is...a companion, so to speak. If you've got any images of your brother's doll I'd love to see her.

      Delete
    2. I'm afraid she "went west" when my mother moved, don't know who nicked her, but it must have been one of the family members that helped her move. She had a lovely deep orange costume and rather a pretty face, can't remember much more about her though, it was long ago.

      Delete
    3. Dang, orange? I'll bet she was a knockout in that!

      Delete