Looking for something?

Sunday, April 21, 2019

Easter 2019

Happy Easter, ladies and germs!  Easter, as I may or may not have said in the past, is my all-time favorite holiday.  As with birthdays and Christmas Mama and Daddy would go out of the way to make sure my sister and I had a good time, planning Easter egg hunts and putting together baskets full of candy and small toys.  On one particularly nasty Easter they even hid eggs in the living room.

Of course I'm not a child anymore, so now it's my turn to stuff Easter eggs.  I've helped stuff and hide eggs in the past for church functions, but I'm sadly out of the habit of attending church.  I did have some extra bags of Easter eggs though; I'd intended them for doll props but they proved too big.  So instead of using them as props Coworker B and I loaded 'em up and passed 'em out to children that came into the library on Friday and Saturday.  Nothing like getting the kids high on sugar before Easter even begins!
We had Sixlets, those miniature Cadbury eggs (the ones that are all chocolate inside), and fun-size candy bars crammed into those eggs.  I ate the Cadbury eggs that didn't fit into the plastic eggs, LOL.  Those little goomers are maybe not as good as the legendary Cadbury Creme Eggs, but they satisfied my sweet tooth.

In dolly news, one of my superiors suggested that I bring in my seasonal dolls as the holidays change, and I thought that was a very good idea so I did just that.  The only problem is that I only have one doll that even closely represents Easter, and that representation is in appearances only.  She's Little Bo Peep.
Now that I think of it, Bo does fit in at the library better than I originally thought, since she's a nursery rhyme and Malden Library has a few books with nursery rhymes in them.  Bo is one of Ashton-Drake's porcelain creations, and she represents an emotion that precious few of my dolls show:  sadness.
I'd probably cry too if I'd lost my sheep...or I'd fly into a screaming, cursing rage, one or the other.  Indeed, I've seen Little Bo Peep show a great deal of emotions since I first learned of her back when I was about two.  Dolls done in her likeness are quite common, and I've seen them crying or looking frustrated or a little ticked.  Some of them, like this cute little poppet, even smile.  One thing remains constant, though:  most (but not all) artistic depictions show Bo shielding her eyes.  Indeed, my doll is supposed to be doing just that, but her arms are not flexible enough so she merely looks like she's wiping tears off her cheeks.

Cheer up, Bo!  One of your sheep is nearby, though she is definitely not wagging her tail behind her.
Bo's single sheep is made of flocked plastic and has a head that turns.  I frequently pose her slightly behind Bo's rather buoyant skirt, so that Bo remains eternally oblivious that her sheep is so close.

I don't know if we have any nursery rhyme themes planned for library events in the future, but I have a few of Bo Peep's friends who'd love to get in on the fun.  I'll share them if we ever do such a thing.  In the meantime, I bid everyone a happy, blessed Easter.  Keep in mind that while eggs and sheep and dolls are a lot of fun they are NOT the real meaning for Easter.  Someone above loves us all very, very much, so much that He died for us.  Since I usually give a nod to Jewish holidays as well, I also wish any Jewish readers a very happy and blessed Passover.  Some Christian denominations celebrate Passover as well, and I must say that it's a beautiful ceremony.

INRI,
RagingMoon1987

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh RM, I really like your Little Bo Peep, she has such an expressive face. :) Poor dear, pity she's so sad about the wee sheep though. BTW I was really good this Easter and ate not a single egg!
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No eggs for me either, unless a full box of Cadbury eggs counts!

      Delete
  2. A happy and blessed Easter season to you! Poor Bo Peep looks so sad; I want to give her a hug. As an aside, Bo Peep's daughter appeared in several Ever After High videos, and enterprising OOAK artists brought her to life in doll form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really? I'll have to Google that; I love custom jobs. I hope your Easter was a happy one!

      Delete