Looking for something?

Sunday, December 10, 2017

One of my Barbie dolls gets kawaii...sort of

Talolili is more of the kawaii expert than I am, but I know enough to piece together an outfit that would fit the label.  For the uninitiated, kawaii is...well, it's actually a culture in Japan that has made its way to the west.  It celebrates all that is cutesy and childlike, stuff like Hello Kitty and various types of anime.  Pastels make a lot of appearances, as do personified inanimate objects like candies, rainbows, clouds, stars, and hearts.  Usually when Americans like myself dabble in kawaii it's in wearables or home decor; I personally like adding kawaii touches to my daily wear with earrings and the like, for example (these cotton candy earrings on Etsy are to die for).  But if you're a dolly lover (and if you're reading this, you probably are) it's also possible to have one or two or a whole slew of dolls that wear kawaii fashion or are a little kawaii themselves.  My little Pepper Parson is a good example, as she's cute and wears clothes that fit the aesthetic.  The clothes shown are the Kuu Kuu Harajuku clothes, which I reviewed here and here; that line is very, VERY kawaii!
Every so often I run into a doll that just screams "kawaii," but isn't dressed the part.  Such is the case with one of my Fashionistas, Suika.
Suika is Fashionistas #60 "Patchwork Denim," with a new head, an original body, and melon-colored hair.  Indeed, the name "Suika" is actually the Japanese word for "watermelon."  This doll's pink hair and soft makeup just begged for some cute little kawaii-style outfit, and while her dress itself does not fall into the style it can be gussied up with some accessories.  Suika's belt and bracelet, seen below, help spice up this outfit a bit, and the butterfly on the belt adds a touch of kawaii.  As a bonus, these accessories match Suika's hair almost perfectly.
I wasn't fully satisfied with that getup, so today when I went out (had to fetch cat food) I picked up a few more Hello Kitty separates, consisting of two tops and a skirt.  One top is a pink spaghetti-strap crop top with clothing items, milk jugs, and Hello Kitty (of course) printed on it, and the other is a less-fitted periwinkle blouse with the Little Twin Stars seated atop a rainbow.  
Both shirts coordinate with the pink skirt, but I don't like the way the periwinkle shirt fits Suika's body.  I think it may look better on a curvy or a tall doll, but of course I neglected to photograph that!  Dumb of me too, because I have two curvy dolls and three tall ones within arm's reach.

With Suika sufficiently kawaii-ized, I let her join Deb, Ami, and Melody for a group photo.
Not bad at all!  I can't tell y'all how tickled I am that Mattel started making these Hello Kitty clothes, and I hope that more will be made.  So far the only characters featured on these outfits have been Hello Kitty, My Melody, and the Little Twin Stars, and no sign of Chococat despite him being on the packaging.  But seeing the Little Twin Stars on one of these tops makes me hopeful that other characters will start making appearances.  I'm still hoping for Keroppi, since I love frogs and the color green, and Badtz Maru and Chococat would make superb Ken clothes, but only time will tell what crops up.

Much Love, 
RagingMoon1987

12 comments:

  1. Suika really is perfect for the kawaii style :-). I like the color of her hair, and her delicate facial features! She looks great re-dressed :-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of these dolls just scream "kawaii!" I hope Mattel does more dolls like this, and more clothes too!

      Delete
  2. I have to pick up some of these clothes!

    Kawaii, Harajuku, Lolita, I love all of it, even if I think Lolita is an unfortunate name choice. I've currently got myself hooked on the app game Love Nikki, as another outlet for my fashion fix. I was joking with my youngest daughter about how I'm turning into a weeaboo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, those games and apps can be addictive! Regarding these Hawaii doll clothes, I'm desperately hoping that the Shibajuku Girls will get some separate fashions. I love those clothes, but I don't want to shell out twenty bucks for another goofy-looking doll that I don't need.

      Delete
    2. The Shibajuku Girls have already gotten some separate fashion packs; I've reviewed a couple on my blog. Unless you would like to see some different ones?

      Delete
    3. No ma'am, I just plain forgot! If I don't see them in stores then I tend to forget that something exists. Shucks, I hope our area gets some soon, because those clothes are so cute!!!

      Delete
    4. I hate to say it, but the Sibajuku girls clothes have been and gone at Target. They might still be at Toys R Us, as they seem to hang onto toys a lot longer than other places. I also looked on Amazon, and they seem to have all the outfits, for about what they cost originally.

      Delete
    5. It might not hurt to give Etsy a whirl; they tend to have cute handmade stuff.

      Delete
  3. One of the people I follow on Flickr just put up photos of a Chococat outfit and Chococat top, just so you know. Also, if you ever do decide to visit the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame (now that The Cars are in ;) ) let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I'm actually more excited that the Moody Blues got in. Finally, after so many years of being overlooked, they're in. That's good to hear that there are some Chococat clothes available; I'll go take a looksie so I'll know what to look for in the stores.

      Delete
  4. Loving this styling for these dolls. I haven't seen any of the new Hello Kitty outfits in my stores yet, but they could have come and gone already. I do think they are very cute though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's also possible that they're in some tripped out place and you just haven't seen them yet. I stumbled across the Dexter Wal-Mart's stash of stuff by pure chance. Check toy sections very carefully and you may end up being rewarded.

      Delete