Looking for something?

Sunday, January 28, 2024

Further discussion on the 65th anniversary Fashionistas...sort of

This is gonna be one of those weird "The opinions of RagingMoon1987" posts, one that I piecemeal together in about an hour's time, and fair warning:  I'm fixin' to do a few of those because they're easy to do and I enjoy bloviating.  The posts that I did over the past two days were...well, the LULU POP dolls were a spur-of-the-moment post, but the one about the Christmas box was semi-planned out.  In the last post I talked about the new Fashionistas that were, for better or worse, inspired by older dolls.  I wasn't too impressed with Superstar Barbie or with Barbie and the Rockers, and I thought about some of the other dolls that I'd love to see as a Fashionista.

COLOR MAGIC BARBIE, 1966
I view this doll as Barbie's transition from the early sixties to the Mod era.  Barbie still had the old-style face like Mama's ponytail doll does, but she sported a sleek, smooth hairdo and a brightly colored ensemble.  I freaking LOVE this doll.  This one is the reproduction; the original had a diamond-patterned swimsuit and a matching scarf.  The Fashionista could have some brightly-colored getup and yellow or red streaks in her hair, the way Color Magic likely could if her owner had a steady hand.  

MALIBU BARBIE, 1971
This one would be hard to screw up.  Put her in a simple blue sheath, give her long blonde or highlighted hair, and add in some pink sunglasses and matching jelly shoes.  Maybe something yellow too, to represent the towel the original doll carried, something like that?  But yeah, I've still got friends who fondly remember this doll and would likely be stoked to see her get an upgrade.  Heck, I'd be tickled meself.  I've got two of these (three if you count P.J.) and I love 'em.

GOLDEN DREAM BARBIE AND CHRISTIE, 1980
Sadly I could only find a decent picture of Barbie, but of the two of them Christie is the one I prefer.  C'mon, can't y'all imagine a Fashionista in a gold-themed getup?  Now that I think of it...I guess one could say that Margot Robbie paid tribute to Golden Dream herself, in the form of this getup...
...but I still think Goldie would make a cute Fashionista.  Oh yeah, and if Mattel wants to give a nod to Christie they can use the Steffie face.  Please, Mattel???  PLEASE use Steffie for a Fashionista?  Oh, pretty please??????  LOL, next doll.

LOVING YOU BARBIE, 1983
Hearts NEVER go outta style!  The folks at Mattel could have a field day with this one.  They're not even trapped in a red-and-white rut, though that combo would look amazing on a doll with deep skin.

TOTALLY HAIR BARBIE, 1992
The bestseller, the one with WAAAAY too much hair and the cute Pucci-print minidress.  For this one the Fashionista could have a huge Afro like some past Fashionistas have had, or some other big style (like this doll, or this one), and a cute dress with a similar color theme?  Oh, and one of the Totally Hair dolls had the Steffie face.  Please, Mattel!  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE???

LOL, why don't I start a campaign:  USE THE STEFFIE HEAD IN THE FASHIONISTA LINE.  LOL, if Greenpeace can be obnoxious about their cause, so can I.  Steffie or no, if I were a designer at Mattel I would've at least considered some of the above dolls, especially Totally Hair Barbie, since she IS the best-selling Barbe of all time.  But...y'all might feel differently.  Who would y'all have picked for the Fashionista line?

Love,
RagingMoon1987

4 comments:

  1. Golden Dream & Totally Hair are getting Fashionistas inspired by them, actually. I saw the promo pics of them somewhere the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There has been a Sound of Music Barbie. Emma has her. (I never liked SOM either. I found it boring and corny. It was one of Emma's favourites when she was a kid though, so we watched it MANY times.) There was an Indiana Jones doll made by Kenner in 1981. It featured a HUGE hat, and, I think, the same head as Han Solo. (The hair was not accurate for Indy.) Then Hasbro made a line of Indiana Jones dolls when Kingdom of the Crystal Skull came out. The Kenner and the Hasbro dolls were good likenesses. I showed a couple of the Hasbro ones on the blog once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, maybe the Hasbro and Kenner dolls are the reason why Mattel hasn't touched Harrison Ford. They probably gotta have permission. Thanks for the lowdown on Sound of Music Barbie; I had no idea!

      Delete