Looking for something?

Sunday, January 8, 2023

Sunday randomness: Samantha, Kit, and Estelle

One of my dolls, Z the Great, has become something of a doll collector in her own right.  She's not a girly girl by any means, but she has her own beloved little trio.
Kit (left) and Samantha (right) are probably familiar to most AG fans, but Estelle in the center is not.  She's a Lori doll, presumably Our Generation's answer to AG's mini dolls.
Miss Emily reviewed both Lori and the miniature Our Generation dolls at some point in her past.  I was hoping to find a miniature of Kendra since I love her bright red hair, but she was nowhere to be found so I picked a Lori doll that didn't have blonde hair and blue eyes (like Kit) or brown hair and brown eyes (like Samantha).  Estelle has reddish hair and bright green eyes, so I think I did pretty well.
Cross-eyed Mary finds it hard to get along!  Oh well, a doll this little and this affordable can afford to have slightly crossed eyes.  Unfortunately, Lori dolls also came in open-faced packaging, meaning that even NRFP dolls can get scratched or scuffed or dirty.  That appears to have happened with Estelle.  Miss Emily also noted that these dolls can have goofy-looking neck seams which are not always hidden by the dolls' clothes.  Estelle's blouse does hide her seam, but here's what it looks like anyway.
Not great, but I can live with it.  Some of the dolls Miss Emily saw looked like they were perpetually wearing tan turtlenecks.  With her shirt half off it's easy to see that Estelle has what Kit and Samantha do not:  a stuffed body.  
Of my mini dolls, Marie-Grace, Cecile, and Addy are soft and squishy, while Samantha, Kit, Maryellen, Gabby, and Luciana have all-vinyl bodies.  Oh yeah, Courtney's little Molly also has a stuffed body, I assume because she's supposed to be a replica of the real thing.  Doremi's beloved Addy doll is one of the older mini dolls, and Marie-Grace and Cecile (owned by Justine-Marie and Zoe respectively) were simply lucky enuff to be produced before AG made the switch.  I say lucky because I prefer the cloth bodies.  American Girls are supposed to be at least a LITTLE cuddly, even in small form!  Not that Z and the other big dolls mind much, since they require rubber bands to hold their dolls anyway.  

I want to focus briefly on Samantha and Kit, since their names are in the title and all.  Z had Kit clean back in September, and I mentioned during her highlight post that Samantha would be in the building soon as well.  Well, now it's January of the following year and Samantha is only now making it into the building.  I've never been Samantha's biggest fan, but the mini doll certainly is a pretty one.  Her eyes are so sweet!
I like the soft pink, too.  I've harped in the past about the prevalence of pink on dolls, but it suits Samantha.  My larger Samantha may have to get a BeForever meet dress...if I can find one.  Kit, on the other hand...well, as Z pointed out in September, I grew up familiar with Kit's pink cardigan, white sandals, and flowered skirt, but her BeForever getup was easy to swallow because she also disdains pink.
I love her in teal.  No bones about it.  I haven't tried clothes swapping between the AG minis and Estelle, by the way, but I have no reason to doubt that they could share clothes.  For the sake of completion I'll try it anyway, since Kit has been out of her dress already.
Kit fits into Estelle's clothes with little fuss.  The only trouble I had was with the cuffs of the jeans.  They don't stretch, and thus fitting them over Kit's feet was tricky.  One of the shoes was a little loose as well.  As for Estelle, Kit's lovely little dress proved a bit too tight.  The same was true for the shoes.  For Kit and Samantha this is a beneficial swap as Lori dolls had extra outfits, meaning that if Z wants to make her historical girls more modern, she can do so.

These three won't be the last dolls I get for Z (LOL).  She took a liking to Justine-Marie's mini Elsa, so I'll likely be getting an her an Anna to be Elsa's sister/friend/playmate, and I fell in love with Ilyssa, another Lori doll.  Ilyssa has lovely deep skin/vinyl and purple slacks, and...dare I say it???  She has a Boston terrier!  My family's favorite breed!  Z likes Dalmatians for herself, but she's not picky.

Three cheers for mini dolls, 
RagingMoon1987 

2 comments:

  1. Hi RM!
    How tall are these "mini dolls"? I haven't seen them here in Oz. It's funny you mentioned the Lori doll's eyes, it was the first thing I noticed when I saw her, but I do love the red hair with the green eyes! That combination is hard to come by, most dolls seem to be either blue eyed blonds or brown eyed brunettes. As you know, I'm not a big fan of fabric bodies, but she's a nice addition to your fold just the same. It's always good to have a doll that can share clothing.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are six inches, give or take. They make good props for larger dolls if you're into that. I didn't show that above, but they fit perfectly into a larger doll's arms.

      Delete