Looking for something?

Thursday, June 29, 2023

Heat of the moment

<sings off-key>  It was the heat of the moment, tellin' me what my heart meant!  I'm almost ashamed to admit that that's the only Asia song I like.  I love Yes, but just about all of their side projects flop in my eyes...with the possible exception of Jon and Vangelis, and the definite exception of Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe.  AllMusic advises listeners to file ABWH under "Yes" and I usually do just that, so I don't know if they count as a side project, LOL.  But ANYWAY it was a scorcher today and it looks to be that way for the next two days.  Mama and I are camping out at Uncle Man-Child's since neither of our A/Cs are working like they should, and I've brought a few friends with me.

Rita Cheryl, of course, and Aimee, and Aimee's friend Emily (a nineties-era Lickety Treats), and Mama's old Barbie.  I don't know how Aimee's managing to hold the smile in those sleeves, but she is.

Barbie:  "She's crazy."
Aimee:  "Am not!  I'm fine!"

I'm kinda with you, Barbie.  Anyone who'd wear long sleeves in this weather is either insane or trying to avoid a bad sunburn.  Poor Aimee, I originally bought her to steal her dress, but she's grown on me.  Right now she's got a human-sized hair band on her forehead to keep her bangs flat.  She looks...kinda cute that way, actually.  I need to get a gold band and see how that looks, since it would match Aimee's dress better.

Barbie kinda needs a hair band too, now that I think of it.

"Motley Crue is my hair band of choice, please."

Motley Crue!  I didn't think you were into hair metal at all, Barbie!  I guess one can't live in my house for too long without picking up at least a slight taste for hair metal.  For the record, my hair metal band of choice will always be Poison, due to the happy memories I associate with their music.  Anyway, after we all got done piddling in the library's parking lot Emily and Rita Cheryl fancied a trip to the playground.  Yes, the playground, with a heat index of 103.  Y'all think that slowed my girls down?  Well...it slowed Barbie and Aimee down a little.  Aimee still claims that she is fine, but I think the heat finally started to get to her.  Normally she'd be trying to keep up with Emily, but right now she's at the slide chatting with Barbie.
Aimee:  "So, what do you think about them releasing a Barbie movie?"
Barbie:  "...haven't they done a bunch of those already???"

Aimee asked the question I'd been wanting to ask but forgot, LOL.  Apparently Barbie is just as surprised as I was to learn that there was gonna be a live-action Barbie flick.  Looks like the movie's gonna be cute, though.  And get this:  Margot Robbie makes a convincing Barbie, but she's not a twig.  If one watches the trailer one can see that she's got nice, muscular calves and a healthy waist.  That more than anything will tell little girls that you can be a healthy size and still look like our old plastic friend.  Oh, and get this as well:  one of the Ken dolls will be taking the reins as the Fifteenth Doctor soon.  LOL, how a guy goes from Ken to the Doctor is anyone's guess, but Ncuti Gatwa is a hunkasaurus rex and I'm rooting for him.  Rita Cheryl, what has Luciana said about it?
Rita Cheryl:  "She's just hoping Donna gets a happy ending!"
Emily:  "Wait a minute...wha???"

Don't worry about it, Emily.  Hey, let's see how high you two can climb!
"Yeah, Emily, let's see how high you can climb."
"I can do better than Olivia Reese!"

I'll let Olivia know you challenged her to a climbing contest.  She'll like that!  Oops!
Alright, kiddies, get inside before y'all melt!  I must tell y'all, the heat has not been the only thing making my life crazy right now.  Missouri just enacted a new law that supposedly keeps children safer in the libraries, but I think the law was really passed to make things harder for us librarians.  My mother, Coworker B, and I have all had to start our patrons over essentially from scratch with these super-detailed patron forms, and it's just been chaos.  Put that in with the heat, and my mind is about the consistency of half-set Jell-O.  So out of it am I that I initially set the publish time of this particular post for six-thirty A.M. instead of P.M.  LOL, thanks to Michelle Bogart for pointing that out!  I hope I sleep tonight; the mattress I'll be sleeping on is hard as a rock and the pillow isn't any better.

How about you, Rita Cheryl?  You ready to hit the sack?

"You kiddin' me???  It's not even that late!  Care to share that lollipop, Emily?"

Please don't read that book to Emily!  It's one of my tornado books, and it's a scary one.
Udall, Kansas for the win!  I'd been wanting a book about that tornado for years and good ol' Mama came through.  She almost always does.

Stay cool,
RagingMoon1987

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I did! I meant for this to go up later on today, not this morning!

      Delete
  2. We have cooler weather than you right now, but we have the Canadian Wild Smog. The two go good together since we're trying to keep the windows closed. I loved this post, and the discussions on bands. What do you think of Jon Anderson's song from the movie Legend? I LOVE that movie, but my favourite song from it is the Bryan Ferry one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have never heard it! I'll listen to it and get back to you on that!

      Delete
  3. Aw, looks like they all had fun outside even if you didn't. Wouldn't it be nice to be a doll and not care about the heat or cold?? I live in SoCal, so our heat will be coming. I grew up in Missouri though, so I know the humidity is worse. And 103 with humidity is MISERABLE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I had fun, LOL. If I hadn't wanted to take them I flat-out wouldn't have done it! So you're an ex-Missouri girl? What part of the state did you come from?

      Delete
    2. Born and raised in KC, MO. But I have lived in Grandview and Springfield.

      Delete
    3. Just curious. You've tasted weather from both the north end and the south end of the state, then. I've never been any farther north than St. Louis, so I've never experienced winter upstate...or summer either, for that matter. My aunt lived in KC for a spell though, and she told me the cold could get ridiculous.

      Delete
  4. Aimee's dress sense is on par with a lot of people I saw in Singapore. :) Here was I sitting in the shade with cool drink in hand, watching people passing by, some even running in the 32C heat, makes you wonder what was so important that they had to run???

    The heat was enjoyable for me even with the humidity, so if it's too much for you RM you can send some of your warmth down south, it's freezing in Oz. Still it looks like your dolls are enjoying the sunshine. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I keep forgetting that it's winter where you are! Likely when you're roasting I'll be freezing, and we'll both be griping about that!

      Singaporeans are so cool! I know it's hot there all the time, and yet they do indeed run around in long sleeves. I've always loved their culture, though. I'll tell you of one I saw myself. I was living in Cape Girardeau, it was summer and thus hot outside, and here comes this young Vietnamese lady in a full-sleeved ao dai. She was perfectly comfortable, and she looked amazing! It's cool what you'll see on a college campus.

      Delete