Looking for something?

Sunday, February 3, 2019

Sunday randomness: what my news feed said

Apparently my tablet (I use a Samsung Galaxy) is in cahoots with Big Brother, because over the last few weeks I've been seeing stories that appear to be cherry-picked for me.  LOL, okay, I know this tablet is actually taking inspiration from news stories I took a liking to, but it still feels weird.  I get a lot of recommendations for articles pertaining to medical anomalies, true crime, that dambreak down in Brazil, and the Who's latest tour (yucko, they booked PEARL JAM to perform with them).  Apparently my tablet is finally getting the memo that I like dolls as well, because mixed in with a Jimmy Page interview (Jimmy Page?  He's not a member of the Who!) and some bitch threatening to slap Steve Harvey, I found not one but two articles about dolls.

ARTICLE #1:  The Most Disturbing Baby Doll "Hospital" in America (Live Births and All!)

A lot of folks think dolls are disturbing anyway, and the more realistic they are, the more people tend to be repelled by the doll.  So when I saw this headline from Daily Beast (whom I suspect may be a liberal rag), I thought "Oh, have they opened up a hospital for reborn dolls?"  Nope!  Lose all your money and five points from Hufflepuff.  No jail time today since I'm in a good mood.  Anyway, I was shocked to find that the hospital in question is none other than a hospital that all Cabbage Patch Kid fans should be familiar with:  Babyland General.  The author describes her trip to the hospital, where babies (not dolls, but babies) are indeed born from Mother Cabbage, and how the babies are adopted (not bought).  She reserves a special vitriol for the preemie section, where the nurse was adjusting blankets and talking to the dolls as if they were alive.  The article is humorous and deliciously blunt, but the language is a little rough so beware.

I was a little pissed when I first read this article.  "Seriously, lady," I thought, "where is your imagination???"  Indeed, it takes a healthy amount of imagination to get enjoyment out of a visit to Babyland General.  I concede that not everyone has that, and if you don't, it's probably best to skip the trip.  The author also fails to note that the nurse talking to the dolls undoubtedly had lines to recite.  Yeah, lines.  The folks at Babyland General have to put on a pretty good act for their patrons, especially in a place where a lot of children come.  Yes, children are allowed at Babyland General, even though prices adoption fees are fairly high, and the Cabbage Patch craze was a thing of my generation, way before any modern-day children were even conceived.

I personally would love to take a trip to Babyland General and "adopt" a special little doll, but I can happily live until then with my small Patch.  Here they are, for a refresher.
Not too shabby!

ARTICLE #2:  Mattel and National Geographic Team Up for New Line of Barbies

This short article is pretty self-explanatory.  Nat Geo and Mattel are teaming up to make a series of dolls as women in STEM fields.  Some of the occupations to be included are wildlife conservationist, wildlife photographer, polar marine biologist, astrophysicist, and entomologist.  Jeez, I hope Astrophysicist Barbie isn't as big an egotist as Neil deGrasse Tyson is.  Seriously, I imagine it must be a bit of a trip being so intelligent, but that jerk thinks he knows it all!  Anyway, I'm most excited for the entomologist, as my sister strongly considered persuing a degree in forensic entomology when she graduated high school.  Indeed her love of insects and arachnids has never left her, even though she is working on that cattle doctorate.  She likes Vermont and the school she is attending quite a bit, by the way.  Anyway, these Barbie dolls are scheduled to hit stores in the fall, and they'll be accompanied by little accessories that have been authenticated and approved of by women who work for National Geographic.

I'm excited for this line, of course, especially the bug girl, but I'll not be holding my breath about getting one.  I never saw the last line dedicated to great women in stores (that was the line with Frida Kahlo in it), and I never saw Gabby Douglas either.  Maybe those dolls were exclusive to the Barbie website?  I dunno.  I don't care.  I just know that I never got Frida or Gabby and it annoyed me.  Hopefully this new line will be easier to get.

Now I'm off to scrape my ball-jointed dolls off the floor.  Hailey decided that it would be fun to play the domino effect.  No one is broken that I know of, but they sure made a heckuva noise.

Much love,
RagingMoon1987

10 comments:

  1. Oh my you sure do get some crazy news!! I have never heard of that hospital nor about the new Barbies . . . whatever will Mattel think of next!!

    Cute bunch of Cabbage Patch dolls you have there, love their chubby cheeks. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll concede that Babyland General is a little trippy. There are videos on YouTube of the birthing process if you want to take a gander. Thank you for the kind words about my Patch; they're much loved!

      Delete
  2. I've seen some promo pics of the new Nat Geo Barbie dolls and they look like they will be cheaper, playline dolls as opposed to adult collector dolls. They dolls themselves are cute and I love the professions they chose, but the outfits are horrible! All cheap and printed on details. I'm so disappointed!! Although, also a little relieved as I won't have to worry about spending my money on them, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mattel, taking the easy way out again. No wonder Lottie is giving her a fairly serious run for her money.

      Delete
  3. So now I've gone and done some searching, found images for the Nat Geo Barbies. And while they are playline dolls and the outfits are typical playline junk for the most part, the accessories are pleasantly NOT Pink'd to death. I actually want a few for the dolls themselves and the accessories they come with. And I hope to see more National Geographic Barbies after this first wave.

    https://barbielistholland.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/barbie-national-geographic-playset.jpg
    https://barbielistholland.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/astrophysicist.jpg?w=640&h=640
    https://barbielistholland.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/polar-marine-biologist.jpg?w=640&h=640
    https://barbielistholland.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/primatologist-barbie.jpg?w=640&h=640
    https://barbielistholland.files.wordpress.com/2018/11/40natgeo-barbie-doll.jpg?w=640&h=640

    ...In case you wanted to see them ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Gabby Douglas dolls were on sale somewhere around Christmas--I got one for about $11. Maybe Amazon? Anyway, I scored a Laurie Hernandez doll at WalMart for $7 just a couple weeks ago. They have the wonderful Made-to-Move bodies, and are pretty good likenesses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that Laurie Hernandez doll. It did indeed look just like her.

      Delete
  5. Uh-huh. Try mentioning some movie or television show within hearing of your phone or tablet and wait for YouTube to recommend it to you in a few days.

    Also, I'm pretty sure Cabbage Patch kids dolls were the rage before *you* were even conceived. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, YES, they were! That was...1984, was it, that they were so popular? I wasn't patented until 1987.

      Yeah, my tablet finally caught wind that I'm a Moody Blues fan as well as a Who fan; they handed me a headline last night about handsome Justin Hayward's tour schedule (not that I could ever afford to go). Too bad the headline is old news, as half of those tour dates had to be cancelled. LOL, poor Justin!

      Big Brother truly is watching us.

      Delete