Looking for something?

Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Playing Dolly Doctor: Finger Dings Sally Skater

Happy Summer Solstice, ladies and germs!  Now meet Sally Skater...or rather, what's left of her.

As usual, I learned about these dolls from Tam, and because I love dolls with personality I fell in love with their smug little faces...and their cotton candy hair.  Y'all know how I love goofy hair.  Anyway, Finger Dings are from Remco, the same bunch that brought us Jan and Tumbling Tomboy, among others.  Under normal circumstances Finger Dings had cloth bodies with hollow legs that fit over one's fingers, turning the little dolls into a finger puppet of sorts.  But as y'all can see, Sally is missing her body.  Under normal circumstances she'd have looked like this.  Obviously Sally isn't worth much as a plaything without legs, so she'll be needing a new body.  Now...I had read that Finger Ding heads were hard to remove from the bodies without heat.  I saw one blogger utilize a hair dryer, but that fried some of her doll's hair, so I'm going with hot water no, brute force did the trick.  The shoulders are melting anyway, as is the neck.  Sally could still turn her head, but her shoulders were frozen stiff.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.  Now...I saw on Pintereston Flickr, and over at ggsdolls that Finger Dings take a small-sized Pure Neemo body, so that's what I got for Sally.  I went the natural-toned route and got all eleven pairs of hands, but since I wanted Sally to be more flat-chested I got the boy body.

I have one other doll with an Azone Pure Neemo body, that being my oldest Licca-chan.  Let's briefly take a look at Sally's new body and Licca's.
There's not a lot of difference at all, actually.  Sally's chest is obviously gonna be flat, and her ankles are sturdier than Licca's, and her new body is a little shorter overall than Licca's, but for the most part the shape and the coloring are the same.  I did notice a defect on the right ankle, though.
Bummer, looks like someone hacked off part of the joint (and part of the heel) with a dull knife!  The mobility of the joint is not impaired, but I can't say that this makes me happy.  The new body also does not come apart at the joints (except for the wrists).  I kinda like how Licca's body can come apart in multiple places, but the new body feels very sturdy, bum ankle and all.

Alrighty, the moment of truth:  how is Sally gonna look with this body?
Well, her neck's kinda long, but for the most part this is a pretty good match.  For the record, Barbie had a giraffe neck too for a spell during the eighties.  I think that if I were gonna do this again though, I'd get a pale body.  Sally's head is pretty fair compared to her new body.  Just a little, but enuff that it might bother a more OCD collector.

I already know that this size of Azone body can wear Licca-chan and Neo Blythe clothes, and I found another post on Flickr that says this body can wear Skipper clothes.  But get this:  the Skipper clothes shown were VINTAGE!!!  I don't have a vintage Skipper doll, but I do have her friend Fluff.
It's been YEARS since I talked about the dress that Fluff is wearing, but my opinions on it are still the same:  it needs something underneath it.  If Fluff can share Licca-chan's clothes then I'll be able to get her a blouse or a shirt to go underneath it.  But first things first:  here's how Sally looks in Fluff's dress.
Mmmm...meh.  Sally looks kinda like a twig in Fluff's oversized dress, and as I stated above it's pretty revealing without a blouse or somesuch like that underneath.  This would work in a pinch, though.

Now, for grins, here's Fluff in Licca-chan's dress.  
I had my doubts since Fluff's chest is wider than Licca's or Sally's, but Fluff actually looks pretty cute in this dress.  Her feet are too big for Licca's shoes, but that's easily remedied.

Okay...I've established that everyone can wear each other's clothes.  Now it's time to throw Sally in her forever dress.  It's another Licca-chan outfit, one with cute jelly-colored heels.
I love it and Sally does too.  Indeed, Sally has turned into a bit of a ham with her new body.  She can ham it up even more with hands; as with Licca, I went full monty on the extra hands.
They come in all the same shapes that Licca's hands came in, so now Licca has someone to play Rock, Paper, Scissors with.

If I were to try this again with a beat-up Finger Ding I'd get the paler body, and I'd pay more attention to the sex of the body!  Sally looks okay in her new dress, but I think she'd look better if she had a full chest like Licca-chan does.  Oh well, can't have everything!  As long as you're not bothered by Sally's longish neck then these Azone bodies are a good fit for the Finger Dings. 

Love,
RagingMoon1987

6 comments:

  1. I think she looks like a little girl that is playing dress up with Mommy's body instead of Mommy's clothes. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's one way to look at it! Licca looks kinda the same way when she's undressed.

      Delete
  2. Unusual combination, but a polar neck sweater might camouflage that neck a little RM. :)
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had thought of that, believe it or not! I think that I've just flat-out got the wrong body, and a size smaller would do Sally better.

      Delete
  3. I think she looks okay, but is there any way to shorten the neck and still keep the head on? I have seen people on Flickr rebody the Finger Dings, and I think it's really cute. If mine were more messed up I'd consider it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, your Finger Dings still look great! I'm not sure if there's a way to shorten Sally's neck without wrecking the body, but I'll bet a smaller body would work fine.

      Delete