Looking for something?

Thursday, August 4, 2022

AG Spotlight: Kailey Hopkins

The Moon Girl once said she'd never own me, but here I am!

FULL NAME:  Kailey Sabrina Hopkins

HOMETOWN:  Small-town southern California.  I'm the fourth California girl, after Julie, Courtney, and Amanda.

HEAD MOLD:  Classic

HAIR COLOR:  Sun-streaked blonde

EYE COLOR:  Dark brown

FAVORITE COLOR:  Blue, green, and gray, the colors of the sea according to Sarah Wheaton in Sarah, Plain and Tall, and the colors of beach glass too, for that matter.  I also like tan, the color of sand, and orange, the color of the sunset.

THINGS I LIKE:  Surfing, boogie boarding, and water sports in general, beachcombing, summertime, Monster High and Ever After High (Lagoona Blue is my favorite character, for reasons listed below), bowling, irises, snow, watching dragonflies (and fireflies too, for that matter), cicadas and the noise they make, insects in general (except red wasps, shudder).

THINGS I DISLIKE:  People using the ocean as their own trash dump, a sentiment first made by the one and only Lagoona Blue, plus people who won't take the time to learn the difference between me and Julie.  There are ways to tell us apart if people will just LOOK!!!

MY CHOICE OF MUSIC:  The Beach Boys are my favorite band, mainly for the song "California Girls."  I like Van Halen too, learned to like them after I heard "Unchained" and their cover of "California Girls."  I'm not a big fan of Van Hagar, though I do love "Humans Being."

PET:  Sandy, a golden retriever.

BEST FRIENDS:  Julie, because she cares about the environment, and Marina and Joss, because they like to beachcomb and swim.  I also appreciate Silver Bird setting me up with a pen pal (I write to Kira Bailey a lot).  I had no idea that people even bothered to write to each other anymore!

SOMEONE I'D RATHER AVOID:  Sometimes Julie, because she and and I look a lot alike.  This hasn't stopped us from being good friends, but it still irks me.  I wouldn't like living with Kira for the same reason, but she WON'T be coming to live with us so I can rest easy.  

HOW I CAME HERE:  Another eBay find!  

ABOUT ME:  I haven't changed much since 2003.  I love nature and animals and I do what I can to help out.  Since I live in the middle of the country now I've started volunteering at a safari ranch, one that has a wide array of critters, like Slow Moe the sloth... 

...and Grasshopper the baby wallaby.
Despite being a California girl I've adjusted well to the fickle climate of the Midwest.  Winter is just an opportunity to wear sparkly, fuzzy things!

Snow rarely fell where I used to live, so I had a lot of fun with the last snow we had.  Justine-Marie is a proficient skier, and she's offered to teach me to ski in exchange for boogie boarding lessons.

The heat isn't as bad as it was since last week we got a lot of rain (and we may get some more today), but it's still warm enough for boogie boarding.  Too bad American Girls can't boogie board for real!  One of the cardinal rules for owning one of us is DON'T GET US WET.  But we can always pretend; in fact, for us dolls fake water is better than real water!  And just between you and me and the cocoanut tree, my posing is even worse than Lindsey's.  I have a very hard time standing up and thus a very hard time moving.  The Moon Girl says that Lindsey and I are both a 3 on the scale she made up.  Oh well, all the easier to sit and listen to the cicadas.  I like cicadas, just like the Moon Girl does.  See the big shell?

The Moon says he hatched out right on her doorframe.  She says she even got pictures.

*Side note from the Moon Girl:  Indeed I did.  It isn't every day that one gets to see a cicada shedding its nymph skin, so I took advantage of the opportunity to pop a few images.  Here he was still in his skin, but not moving much.  I could see his new skin underneath the old.  When they stop moving like this they need to be left alone so they can do their thing, so that's exactly what I did.  For reference, I'm 5'8" and the insect was about shoulder-high to me (I had to hold Kailey in the frame above, LOL).

Half an hour later I checked in and found the cicada half-out of his shell and letting his wings unfurl.
I love how bright their eyes are when they're new!  The next morning the cicada was gone, so I assume that he dried out sufficiently and flew away to spend a week or so singing his heart out (cicadas are sadly rather short-lived in their adult form).  Pretty cool, right Kailey?

Yes, very, though I admit that I prefer to play with the husks.  I can wear them in my hair or on my clothes.
Shame I can't keep this one, but these things are kinda fragile.  That, and Moon has enough stuff for me as it is.  I collect Monster High stuff.  See my toys?
That's not even all of 'em; I just picked my favorites.  I picked three of Moon's favorites too, since she asked nice.
Most of my Monster High dolls are those little blind box figures that look like rag dolls, but I do have one that is like the larger ones, joints and shoes and all.  Can't beat Mega Blox!
Moon says that if she can ever find the room and the time she's going to set up rooms for each of us large dolls, just like another blogger once did.  She says that's why she's bothering to get toys for each of us (she calls them "props").  Not that her reasoning matters to me!  Once I was loved by a little girl, so it's nice to be that loved again.

Stay chill,
Kailey Hopkins

2 comments:

  1. Ick, I'm not particularly fond of bugs. I did have to create an insect collection for sophomore biology class in high school, though, and it contained a cicada. I feel like American Girl is a bit parochial with their dolls. So many of them come from California or New York. At least Kailey is living the "flyover country" lifestyle now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, California, New York, or some place that isn't even in America! We haven't even had one from Alaska yet, and Alaska is fascinating!

      Delete