Looking for something?

Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Hasbro's answer to Steffie?

This, for you Barbie fans, is a Steffie head, utilized by Malibu P.J.

This, for any Hasbro fans, is Maxie's friend Ashley.

Maxie, whom I've reviewed in the past, had four friends:  blonde Carly, African-American Kristen, red-haired Ashley, and boyfriend Rob.  Kristen was later renamed Simone for reasons unknown.  Aside from Maxie herself, Ashley is the one I've always preferred, both because she's a redhead and because her face looks like a Steffie face.

It's NOT a case of Mattel loaning out a head or Hasbro stealing a head, though.  Ashley's head is rounder and bigger all over than P.J.'s, and the marks are different.  The resemblance is there, though.  I wonder if this was a deliberate move on Hasbro's part, since the Steffie head was still fairly common during the late eighties and early nineties.  Granted, P.J. had been retired by then, but good ol' Midge was very much alive and rocking the Steffie head.  LOL, if red-haired Ashley is indeed Hasbro's answer to red-haired Midge then I can't help but laugh.  Quite typical of toy companies, trying to outdo each other at every turn!  Alas, my Steffie-faced Midge dolls are in storage at the moment, so I'll just pose Ashley with P.J. and be done with it.

Yeah, I got rid of Ashley's ill-fitting nightie.  I'll put that on my Teen Talk Barbie.  Given Ashley's straight hair and flat bangs, I think she was indeed a pajama doll, so now I'm gonna try and find her original pajamas.  But the Chococat outfit works for now.  

Word of advice to any of y'all who like Maxie and her friends:  modern-day Barbie clothes are hit and miss, but most of the pieces I've got work just fine.  But forget Barbie shoes; Maxie and Ashley have more realistic feet than Barbie and P.J. do.

Happy early spring,
RagingMoon1987

6 comments:

  1. I can definitely see the resemblance in the faces. And knowing toy companies, I would not be shocked to find out its deliberate. I like the Steffie face better on PJ than on Ashley, its just too round. I think it looks better on a narrower face shape. I had Sweet Roses PJ, but I don't remember what her Barbie face was. lol And for a long time I thought she was Barbie. But looking for a Barbie doll in a rose dress got me nowhere. I don't have my childhood dolls either, but am getting some back. Other dolls I am getting are ones I missed because they came out after I stopped playing with dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sweet Roses P.J. is twenty-five shades of AWESOME! I've looked for her for myself but dolls with the Steffie face are usually some kind of high. I think I'm with you, I prefer the Steffie face over Ashley's face. The lips seem like they're better painted.

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately, I am a child of the 80's so ALL my old Barbie's are ridiculous! There are 80's Barbies that are MORE expensive than original Barbie dolls! Its funny, looking at the dolls I only had a handful of them, but getting them back in box would require me to take out a loan. LOL

      Delete
    3. That's too bad too, because 80's Barbie dolls were fun! Unabashedly big-haired, with bright clothes and goofy styles...I love 'em.

      Delete
  2. I wonder if Curvy Barbie clothes would fit Maxie dolls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hit and miss. I tried it with Maxie several years back. Blouses and dresses fit her just fine, but the skirts I had were big around the waist. One of them fell off of her, in fact. But dresses are a safe call for Maxie and her buddies. Here's her post if you want to take a gander; I talk about clothes sharing there.
      https://ragingmoon1987.blogspot.com/2017/04/throwback-thursday-review-hasbro-maxie.html

      Delete