Looking for something?

Thursday, March 17, 2022

Flowers for Reagan

Step outside, summertime's in bloom...okay, we're not quite there yet.  Indeed, it's not quite warm enuff yet to turn off the heat at night.  But spring has definitely sprung here in the Bootheel, and during a drive yesterday I noticed that my grandmother's former front yard was full of crocuses.

Crocuses come out so early that I rarely get to see them, and due to this they've become a favorite of mine.  I had a complicated (eventually nonexistent) relationship with my paternal grandmother due to the way she treated Daddy and his siblings, but I will say that she could get anything she wanted to grow.  These crocuses were no doubt planted by her.
I had Reagan with me, clad in a bright new outfit courtesy of my mother.  She had to get up close and personal with one bunch of blossoms.

If I'd had my spade I'd have dug up a couple of these and planted them in my own yard.  But I don't think that would be good for the plant, and I didn't have my spade anyway so I left these be.  Grandma's old house has boards over the windows and doors now, so part of me wonders if someone is planning to demolish it.  I don't like that because I spent many happy times in that house, but it doesn't belong to the family anymore so I have no say in the matter.  Oh well, I have the memories, and no one can take those from me.

Happy St. Patrick's Day,
RagingMoon1987

4 comments:

  1. The flowers are gorgeous! Regan looks happy to be sitting among them and you managed to get a few clovers in your pictures! With her red hair, she is a good doll for a St. Patrick's Day picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With a last name like "O'Connor" I figure Reagan was meant to be Irish anyway! I didn't even think to photograph the clover; under the dead leaves it's like a green carpet.

      Delete
    2. I could tell the clover was unintentional, that made it even better.

      Delete
    3. Too bad none of 'em were four-leaved.

      Delete