Looking for something?

Monday, November 9, 2020

The same outfit? Starflower vs. Nunavut Now

I like to joke that the end of the year is either Cabbage Patch Kid season or American Girl season at the Moon House, as for some reason or another I start looking at clothes and accessories for both entities.  I haven't seen anything in Camp Cabbie that sets my heart aflame-a, but I did find some stuff for my American Girls (what a surprise, LOL).  This is the Starflower outfit, modeled by the one and only Lindsey Bergman.

I like to never got her posed for this picture, she's so loose.  I need to see what I can do about that.  Anyway, this was one of my favorite American Girl Today outfits (as Truly Me was called back then), and unsurprisingly I didn't get it until now.  My sister and I had a bad habit of circling what we wanted in an American Girl catalog and then...hiding the catalog so Mama and Daddy had no idea what we wanted!  We weren't very bright at times, my sister and I.  But anyway, Starflower was only available during 2004 and 2005, and it's one of my favorite outfits, utilizing my favorite shade of blue (cerulean) with plum.  It represents a trend among AG clothes that I loved; during the early 2000's a lot of blues, purples, greens, and soft pinks were used in AG's wardrobe, and oh, did I love it!  Just about all of my favorite outfits were some shade of blue, purple, or both.  I'm not sure Lindsey looks as nice in it as the model in the catalog does (the catalog shows JLY #11), but she'll definitely do.

No sweat, eh what?  I've got one of my favorite AG outfits and all is good.  Then...THEN I browsed Maplelea's site.  I know some of y'all out there own a Maplelea Girl, but for those who don't know, Maplelea Girls are Canada's answer to American Girl.  There are seven little multiracial girls from various parts of Canada, and instead of storybooks they come with these awesome diaries that reveal things about the doll's life and facts about the part of Canada they live in.  My favorite dolls are Saila (an Inuit girl from Nunavut) and Taryn (she lives in Banff!), and one of Saila's extra outfits, a cute little number called Nunavut Now, looks like this.

Hmmm...cerulean sweater with a blouse underneath, dark knee-length skirt with a decoration on the hem, leggings, metallic blue shoes.  The two outfits aren't carbon copies of each other, as Saila's leggings and blouse are gray and her skirt is denim.  But...


...there's a resemblance, LOL!  I wonder if Maplelea did this deliberately or if it's just a coincidence?  Layers make sense given the latitude at which Saila lives, and the outfits are different enough that it could be a coincidence.  Plus, the construction of the two sweaters is different; Saila's buttons up the front and has a hood, while Lindsey's doesn't have a hood and wraps around.  See?

I haven't yet committed to buying a Maplelea Girl, but if I do, Nunavut Now will have to come with her so I can get a closer look at it.  Or, since American Girls can wear Maplelea clothes, I may just buy a couple of outfits and be done with it.  As always, y'all will see which way I choose to go.

Much love,
RagingMoon1987

No comments:

Post a Comment