Looking for something?

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Regarding Eva's new friends

This is Eva, whom some of y'all may know.
This is Elvira.
This is...well, her breastplate says "Nightingale," meaning that she is probably the Swedish Nightingale, Jenny Lind.
And this is Elfriede, complete with her black scarf.  
The saga of my china dolls continues.  I'm STILL trying to get Eva put back together again, but my attempts aren't going well.  I have two bodies, one a kid body and the other a reproduction parian body...
...and they're BOTH too big for poor Eva.
That's where Elvira comes in.  I bought Elvira under the guise that she was the real deal, but no antique china doll has eyebrows this crummy.
She's also got crazing all over, meaning that she's most likely not the real deal.
Since I'm unimpressed with Elvira's paint I will likely get some sandpaper and paint and do her over.  Hey, she's a reproduction, so what've I got to lose?  Elvira is modeled after the Mary Todd Lincoln china head, hence the hairnet.
My heart's on fire for Elvira!  LOL, I don't know why I chose to name this doll "Elvira" instead of "Mary," but it seems to fit her.  Unfortunately the bodies I have do NOT fit her, as they're...too small.
I've really had rotten luck with these china dolls, kids!  I started the year off with one head, and now I've got two heads and two bodies that won't work out!  This mess started clean back in...March, I think it was.  Yeah, it was one of the last things I did before the coronavirus mess got really bad, and when Elvira's head didn't fit on either body I just shoved everything into storage, I was so done with it all.  I didn't mess with these doll parts again until June 29th, which was when Jenny Lind came into the picture.  This doll doesn't look exactly like the china Jenny Lind dolls, but the resemblance is there.
Nightingale, hov'ring high, harmonize the wind...yeah, I think I know now why my college friends called me a walking MP3 player.  I strongly doubt that Jenny Lind is the nightingale that "Voices in the Sky" refers to, but again it fits well enough.  Obscure song references aside, I chose a reproduction parian doll's head to try on this body because the arms and legs are matte like the head.
I don't know why unglazed china dolls are called "parian" dolls, though Google's definition suggests that the porcelain looks like parian marble.  Parian dolls are not made of marble, of course, but I can see the resemblance...or I can with the real dolls (Jenny's head and body are both obviously flesh-toned).  Either way, parian dolls are arguably some of the prettiest antique dolls I've seen.  LOL, okay, it's my opinion that parian dolls are some of the prettiest, though I'm not the only one who thinks so.  LOL, I'll admit that I'm biased towards them because I like the fashions and hairstyles of the day.  Just for the heckuvit, here's Jenny's "made in" sticker.  Made in Japan.
Jenny doesn't fit the parian body perfectly, but she fits good enough that I'm going to lash her to the body anyway (I think this putting the pieces together is called a "marriage").  The only problem here is that this dress is too tight to come off the body.  This is as far as I can get it.
No worries, I'll just sew her to the body one side at a time.
The end result:  one complete Jenny.
I ended up lashing her head to her body with satin ribbons and cotton thread, both of which I obtained at Wal-Mart.  The joining is not very pretty to look at, and the job would've been easier if I'd been able to take off the dress, but I got the parts married.  Jenny's head does not flop around at all, so I'm calling this a successful marriage (LOL).  I s'pose one could say this was my first foray into dollmaking, even though I didn't cast the parts or make anything.  Either way it's nice to have a full doll come together after having nothing but floating parts for months.  Oh, and as an aside, I need to show y'all Jenny's boots.  She's wearing high-button shoes, which one doesn't see too often on dolls nowadays.
I guess I'm going to have to overcome my laziness with both Eva and Elvira and make them bodies.  I have legs for each of them, but not arms.  As for the remaining kid body...well, it's pretty chubby, so I thought a bisque head would do the trick.  And so it did, as Elfriede shows.
The fit is not perfect, but it's good enough for me.  I ran into a problem when I discovered that Elfriede has no sew holes, but my friends on Facebook suggested tacky glue so that's what I did.  I think I used a bit too much, LOL. 
I'll have to be careful with this doll, as I don't really trust glue like I do sewing the head in place.  And before anyone asks...no, Elfriede is not a Simon and Halbig doll.  LOL, some of y'all may remember that I'd love to own a nice Simon and Halbig doll.  Elfriede is my third Armand Marseille, and her mold is one I didn't own, 370.
The 370 is one of AM's most common molds, a pretty dolly face mold with chubby cheeks, big eyes, and...usually dolls with this head have inset teeth, but Elfriede does not.  That surprised me, since Hattie, Mabel, and Katsumi all have teeth.  Elfriede's mouth is open, but as y'all can see, there are no choppers.
The counterweight on Elfriede's eye mechanism is sometimes visible through her open mouth, and at least two folks on Facebook thought she was missing a tooth because of that.  Speaking of the eye mech, Elfriede's eyes are sleep eyes.  She's only my second bisque doll to have this function (Katsumi was the first).
Here's a look at the inside of her head, since I haven't yet seen what this mechanism looks like.
Of course Elfriede will need a pate before she can have a wig, but until then I'm content to peer into her head and see how this mechanism works.  As an interesting aside, Elfriede's eyes are brown.  My other bisque dolls all have blue eyes.
Although she is without teeth, without pate, without arms, without clothes, and without wig, Elfriede maintains a touch of class.  She wears a black silk ribbon around her neck, which I think makes a very good scarf.
This reminds me of something I read about Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, who inspired another popular Armand Marseille mold.  At some point during her brief life Queen Louise developed a swelling on her neck and used a scarf to conceal it, creating a fashion trend.  Sometimes the dolls done in her likeness also sported a scarf, as did other little dolls of her time.  Elfriede is NOT a Queen Louise doll, but no one said she couldn't follow the same trend, even if Queen Louise does predate Elfriede by half a century (LOL).

Well!  I'd say I'm in a better position than I was, as I've got one complete doll and one that's on her way to being complete.  Elfriede will need her arms and a dress in addition to a wig and a pate, but her head and body are joined and that's good enough for now.  Notice the counterweight, and how it does indeed look like Elfriede is missing a tooth.
I like that better than headless bodies.  But unfortunately my success with Jenny and Elfriede does not help Eva any, and now I have to fix Elvira as well.  Sewing Jenny together has given me a bit of confidence, so I'm just going to be patient and see what pops up on eBay...or on Etsy.  Etsy has what appears to be the perfect body for Eva, but I'm having to watch the ol' pesos right now.  That does prove though, that if I'm patient enough I'll be able to find what I need.

Stay cool,
RagingMoon1987 

4 comments:

  1. One thing is definitely leading to another here! I hope you can get Eva and Elvira some bodies. I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

    High pearl choker collars became fashionable around the end of the 19th century, when Princess Alexandra of Wales starting wearing them to hide some kind of deformity on *her* neck. Everybody's got to follow the trend setters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be awhile before I can get them all complete since I'm having to be careful with my money, but you'll get to watch any progress I make. I'll keep that bit about Princess Alexandra in mind, especially since Jenny has such a long neck. Mama said she'd look good with a necklace of some kind.

      Delete
  2. Congrats on completing your Jenny.

    P.S. I thought of that Elvira song, too, when I saw the name. You don'thear that name - or song - often nowadays ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yeah, "Elvira" is a song my mom and I listen to together. Mama likes the Oak Ridge Boys.

      Delete