Looking for something?

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

On the new Hello Kitty Barbie

No Throwback Thursday this week, y'all.  My sister and brother-in-law are in from Lexington, Kentucky and they won't be here but a few days so I want to make the most of our visit.  However, I do have some downtime right now and fancied a post.  I just saw the new Hello Kitty Barbie, and she is so adorable!
This shouldn't surprise me since there's been a sudden stream of Sanrio-themed doll clothes available, but...well, it did surprise me.  It certainly is a pleasant surprise though, given my fondness for Hello Kitty.  The new Barbie is a departure from the past Mattel-Sanrio collaborations; the dolls in 2007 and 2008 utilized the Steffie sculpt (my all-time favorite head), but the 2017 doll has the Lagerfeld sculpt instead, a sculpt that I don't think I own yet.  This particular doll looks enough like the 2008 doll that they could be siblings, so using a different head was probably a wise idea in the long run.

Hello Kitty Barbie is already available for pre-order (for a hundred friggin' bucks) on the Barbie collector's website, and if y'all can possibly believe it someone has already left this poor doll a bad review!  Someone actually had the gall to moan about the lack of originality and start pining for a revamp of the My Scene dolls instead.  <insert eyeroll>  There's always going to be at least one squeaky shopping cart in the bunch.  I liked the My Scene dolls while they lasted, but I view them as rivals for the Bratz more than collector's items, and since the Bratz are once again discontinued I see no reason for a My Scene revamp.

Given my track record with collector-end dolls, I probably won't be able to get this one, but I can still admire her from afar!

Joy to the world,
RagingMoon1987

5 comments:

  1. I think she's adorable!!! The outfit, the adorable socks and sandals, the cute face, I like everything about her. The bad review makes no sense (I just read it), what do My Scene dolls have to do with it???
    Have a great time with your family :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That review probably came from some kid who was too young to ever have a My Scene doll (and therefore has no business on a website for adult dolls). Talolili says she heard through the grapevine that this doll was sold out already and if that's true, that's a mega-bummer. She sure is cute, though! You have a merry Christmas if I don't post again between now and then.

      Delete
    2. Merry Christmas to you too :-)

      Delete
  2. This doll is adorable! I live just outside of Lexington, KY!! I find it funny that your brother-in-law lives near me and that my brother-in-law lives near you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I don't know how much longer they're going to be living in Lexington, but Sister tells me she'd love to stay.

      Delete