Looking for something?

Friday, December 22, 2017

Dolly Dress Discussion: Chococat makes an appearance

Yeah, I know I've been hitting the Sanrio clothes hard lately, but what's a girl to do when a large toy company starts making adorable clothes that her dolls can wear???  Recently I griped about seeing Chococat on these Hello Kitty-themed boxes, but not seeing him on ANY of the clothes.  I should've kept my lip zipped and been patient, because fellow bloggers reported seeing a dress printed with the formerly elusive black cat, and indeed Malden's Wal-Mart has it now.  Of course I grabbed one, and after some experimentation with fitting I determined the curvy Billie Jean to be the best fit.
I tried this dress on an original-bodied doll but it just didn't look right.  There are some outfits that just DON'T look right on those original bodies nowadays, and the Chococat dress is one of them...for me, anyway.  Maybe one of y'all prefers dresses to be a bit baggy.

The dress itself is nothing super-duper special; it's a simple little sheath dress that came with a black cat ear headband (an accessory that's made several appearances in the past) and a hot pink vinyl tote bag with Chococat on it.  The dress itself a nice shade of blue with images of Chococat printed in places.  Unfortunately Miss Spotty Jane's warnings about the backs of these clothes proved to be founded, at least for this dress.  The cute Chococat print is only visible on the front of the bodice and the bottom ruffle, leaving the back...PLAIN!!!
Why, Mattel???  WHY must y'all do that???  You're already paying to use licensed Sanrio characters on doll clothes, so why not go all out?  Oh well, at least it's a dress with Chococat on it.  I'm glad of that, because it seemed like a waste to put him on the packages but not on any of the clothes.  I also find Chococat particularly adorable, as he reminds me of two of my mother's rambunctious cats (both solid black), and also of Pete the Cat, one of my favorite child's book characters.  Yes, I'm thirty and I love Pete the Cat, particularly the story about the bad banana.  Anywho, Barb the Evil Genius says there's also a top running around with him on there, so I'll be grabbing that too.  

Finally, since I owe Ketsana a favor from last time, I let her join in on this shoot.
Talk about a Mutt and Jeff pair!  I think Ketsana will likely get the Chococat blouse if I can find it, so that these two can coordinate.  Either that or I'll get Billie Jean the new Twin Stars outfit and coordinate these two that way.  Awww, who am I kidding, I'll end up doing both because I'm a glutton for doll clothes.  

I also saw a few of the boxed separates while I was out yesterday, including a stunning metallic purple skirt.  Purple makes me think of my sister, who is fond of the color, so that skirt will likely find its way onto one of my dolls as well.

Speaking of Sister, Sister and Brother-in-Law have to leave today, so we opened Christmas gifts last night.  My stuff was nothing super-exciting, but it was all nice new stuff that I desperately needed so I'm happy.  I'm particularly happy with the rather large assortment of bath towels that Sister gave me, as before last night I had exactly ONE towel!  I also got some super-cute shoes and a nice set of mittens and a comfy-looking sweater and...okay, I lied.  My stuff is exciting in its own way...but not as exciting as the repairs Brother-in-Law did to my plumbing!  Anywho, Brother-in-Law is happy with the new drone that I got him, and Sister and Mama like their presents so I'm calling this Christmas a success.  I'm only sorry that Sister and Brother-in-Law have to leave today; three days doesn't seem like enough time, particularly when we hadn't seen them since...Mother's Day, was it?  It was before we had to put Grandma in the hospital, I know that much.  Oh well, I'm just pleased that I got to see them at all; they brought their cat Louise with them and it was a very enjoyable visit.  Now I've got to pray that they'll make it to Marble Hill (and then Lexington) safely, as that road to Marble Hill is HORRID!!!

Cheers,
RagingMoon1987

2 comments:

  1. Such a cute dress! The two Chococat pieces are the ones I'm most excited about. Maybe down the line we'll see Aggretsuko and Kuromi on some future clothes?

    I really wish that they wouldn't try this "for all body types" thing with the clothes. Not trying to body-shame Barbie here, but a petite doll (or even a classic) is going to look ridiculous in an outfit that fits a curvy doll. You'd think that they'd do extra-wide loop-side sections of velcro in the back to allow you to cinch the outfits a bit, at least. (Of course, you'd also expect two-sided prints on clothing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll share the Chococat top in my next post. Ketsana is wearing it.

      Jeez, you aren't kidding on this one-size-fits-all nonsense, because one size DOESN'T fit all!!! Mattel is trying to make Barbie more "real," so they need to stop with the hogwash that everyone can wear everything. That's not body shaming, that's common sense. I just wish some of these outfits were more clearly marked, because some of them are so obviously for a curvy or a tall doll, and some...well, some aren't! Very wise of you to point out.

      Delete