Looking for something?

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Dolly Dress Discussion: modern clothes for a vintage doll

Let's talk about Francie, Barbie's Mod cousin.  Francie was sort of an intermediate between Barbie and Skipper.  Barbie was big, Skipper was small, Francie was in the middle, and none of them could share clothes!  Not that it mattered, since Mattel kept all three girls supplied with plenty of brightly colored duds.  Unfortunately for young collectors like me, that was many years ago.  In that time Barbie and Skipper have changed many times, and Francie was phased out completely.  Thus in order to gather together a nice wardrobe for my doll, I either have to make my own clothes or pay through the nose for vintage duds.  I can sew, knit, and crochet, but it's time-consuming and sometimes I'm not in the mood to wait.

No problem.  It just so happens that some of Barbie's modern clothes fit Francie's body nicely.  My favorite things to put on Mary Anne (my Francie-bodied doll) are the budget clothes, the simple shift dresses that don't have accessories.  They look surprisingly good on Mary Anne.
Okay, so they're not Mod...but they ARE colorful, and they fit nicely.  No gaps at the shoulders, no bags at the waist, nothing.  I particularly love the way the blue and purple dress fits; it makes Mary Anne's relatively straight figure look a little more curvy.

So...if any of y'all have Francie dolls and don't sew, don't have a lot of money, and/or don't like to wait, this is a good way to flesh out her wardrobe.

Happy Thanksgiving,
RagingMoon1987

6 comments:

  1. Wow, these clothes do fit Francie nicely. I do have a couple of vintage Francies, but they are in their vintage clothers in my glass cabinet I keep my older dolls (I display these and photograph them, but they are not in my stories). I might rethink this and bring one of them into the story line up knowing these clothing options.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to be of help! I should probably warn you that I haven't found any modern shoes for my Francie-bodied doll to wear, but that doesn't sound like it would be a huge problem for your dolls. You might also want to give Dreamhouse clothes a whirl; I haven't, but some pieces might work.

      Delete
  2. Your Francie-bodied doll is lucky. New dresses. Nice ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love Francie! I have a Casey-who has the same type of body. The outfits look very cute on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I should've reminded the readers that Francie, Casey, and Twiggy all share a body and can share clothes. Looks like your little Casey has some new frocks to wear!

      Delete