Looking for something?

Wednesday, June 3, 2020

China boy

Another patron came in with a doll to show me today.  This is him.
He's late china with some crazing on his face, hands, and feet.  His eyes are brown, which I love (my older china dolls all have blue eyes).  He's got some big ol' lips too, LOL!
His clothing is sewn on, and for some weird reason I fell in love with these buttons.  They're orange-red plastic with fluted edges, and they were the perfect size for the tip of my finger.
My friend says that the doll is about her age (somewhere around 55-60), and he's been her companion all her life.  She says she was hoping to pass him on to a daughter or a granddaughter, but so far that plan hasn't panned out.  Guess who volunteered to take him if he needed a new home?  LOL again.

I love it when patrons bring their dolls in for me to see!  It's almost always something different that I either have not seen before, or have seen but am not familiar with.  I own three of my own china dolls now (one antique and two reproductions), and none of them are brown-eyed boys!  Needless to say I thanked my friend lavishly for showing her doll to me.

Stay cool,
RagingMoon1987

6 comments:

  1. His buttons look like flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fellow reminds me of someone...but I cannot think who, but it's someone famous I'm sure. He has a sort of 'music hall' vibe to him.
    Those buttons are the kind of buttons I remember from my grandmothers button tin...but I inherited that tin and don't see them in there...a figment of my imagination perhaps.
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom says he reminded her of Charlie Chaplin! Granted, the doll doesn't have a moustache like Chaplin did, but I could see the resemblance.

      Delete
    2. Reminds me of Peewee Herman. Nice doll.

      Delete
    3. Oh good Lord, he DOES look like Peewee!

      Delete