Looking for something?

Sunday, October 30, 2022

New/semi-new stuff

I'm not so sure how new some of this stuff is, since I've heard about the Glo-Up Girls from other bloggers.  Indeed, Far Out Toys says that these dolls were finalists in the Toy of the Year awards this year.  Finalists...I guess they didn't win.  Anyway, I've heard the term "glow up" thrown around a lot in recent months, and I assumed that it meant a makeover or something of that stripe, which would mean that these dolls would be something like the #FailFix dolls.  But as it turned out, "glow up" usually refers to someone who gets better in looks or mindset as they age, particularly as someone successfully navigates adolescence.  Either way these dolls have both the makeover feature and the social media emphasis that the #FailFix dolls had, but they're...maybe a little less cartoony?  Here's Rose.

This one is Sadie...
...and this one is Tiffany.
Rose is my favorite of the three that Dexter's Wal-Mart had, with her green eyes and red hair.  She reminded me a little of Princess Merida in the store, but now I wonder where that comparison came from.  Either way, here's a close-up of Rose's face.
There are other characters named Kenzie, Erin, and Alex.  They all have basic personalities, and since they're trying to make it on TikTok they're all using the old fallback trends like makeup, sports, or saving the damned environment.  Sheesh, why can't we have a mukbanger or some not-so-mainstream sport like extreme pogo-sticking???  Okay, maybe not mukbanging, since some mukbangers go way too far, but it's still more interesting than hearing about makeup or the high school football game or recycling trash bags.  Oh well, my doll, my rules.  If/when I get one of these I'll just make my own story up.

So I'd heard tell of the Glo-Up Girls before i actually saw them, but these next dolls are something completely new to me.  They are called Fidgie Friends, and they have fidget toys (stress balls, poppers, that sort of thing) built into their clothes and hair.  I love fidget toys, so I was delighted when I first saw these.  Unicorn Sprinkles has a doughnut skirt that's made out of that squishy foam that companies use to make stress balls.  Her hair...bends or stretches or something like that.  The package says "stretches." It helps to read, LOL.  
Unicorn's two friends are mermaids.  Boba Bubbles has a glitter gel tail and a tailfin filled with water beads.  Her gel tail didn't feel too squishy when I poked it, but it looks pretty.  Hmmmm...Boba???  Well, the water beads in her tail look a little like boba so I guess that name works.
Then there's Watermellow, who has an obvious watermelon theme.  Hmmm, would mermaids know what watermelon is?  Regardless, Watermellow has a tail covered in those sequins that flip.  I haven't flipped them, but a few are showing green undersides.

There's also a fourth one named Butterfly Wishes, and she is a fairy with popper wings and a stress ball skirt.  I don't like the Fidgie's faces as much as I do the those of the Glo-Up Girls, but I love the idea of incorporating fidget toys with dolls.  Through the package I could see that Unicorn's tights are clearly molded on, and I think her shoes may be too.  Bummeroo.  I like the looks of those knees, though!  The two mermaids are...well, mermaids and thus wouldn't be able to wear regular doll clothes, and y'all may or may not remember that I love doll clothes.  Nevertheless I like this idea, and I want one, of course (LOL).  Which one is the question!

To my great surprise, Funville's Sparkle Girlz appear to have disappeared completely.  In their place are these goofy-looking things, entitled "Hairmazing."

Hairmazing, eh what?  I've got two Hairmazing dolls, and they're nothing like this!  This Hairmazing doll is cuter IRL than she is in that picture, but I still can't help wondering what happened to the Sparkle Girlz and their extensive wardrobes.  Oh, how I loved those outfits!

Have y'all seen these in your neck of the woods?  Yay or nay for y'all?  Discuss.

Rainbows and water beads,
RagingMoon1987 

2 comments:

  1. Same--here in north-central WV, Hairmazing seems to have replaced the Sparkle Girlz. I, too, loved their outfits! What an inexpensive and entertaining "fix" they were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved how eclectic the styles were. Didja see the dress I have with the zebra on it? I loved the originality of that.

      Delete