Looking for something?

Thursday, April 28, 2022

Soda bottles!

Some of y'all may or may not remember that among a great many other things, I like soda.  Can't drink much of it, but I like the old bottles and the old advertising.  Anywho, I've got a friend who collects soda bottles, and on a whim I decided to get one for him (it was a vintage Mountain Dew bottle).  Today he returned the favor and brought three of his bottles for my mom and me to look at.

The blue Layne's bottle and the frosted Pepsi bottle in the center have my beloved old hole in the road embossed on them.  Good ol' Malden!  The Layne's bottle has the name on the side and the bottom...
...while the frosted Pepsi bottle just has it on the bottom.  My friend says this bottle had a paper label at one time, which makes sense.
The last bottle, on the right, has New York City stamped on it.

I have a bottle like that last one myself, but it has "Malden, MO" on the back of it...and it's pretty grubby.  Here's the bottle...

...and here's the stamp.

I never thought to look on the bottom of my bottle for markings.  No time like the present!

Nope, just the brand of glass and patent info.  Anyway, my mother said that Malden Pepsi tasted better than any other she'd ever tasted.  In fact, her family wouldn't drink the ones from Flat River!  It was all about the local water, and the minerals and God-knows-what that the water had in it.  I wonder if the citizens of Waco, Texas felt that way about their Dr. Pepper?  I'd love to ask someone!

Thank y'all for your kind attention!  I know not everyone is into soda.

Bottoms up,
RagingMoon1987

UPDATE, 5/19/22:  My friend brought two more bottles for my perusal today.  One of them is a milk bottle.

Yes, once upon a time milk came in glass bottles that could be sterilized and reused.  This particular brand is Broguiere's, a brand that is still in existence, barring a closure in 2019.
Since the company is so old I don't know how old this bottle is (Broguiere's still sells milk in said glass bottles), but it's still a nice bottle.  Notice that a one-dollar deposit is offered for the return of the bottle.
Pity that beverage bottles aren't treated that way nowadays.  I know that plastic bottles are safer than glass, but in a day and age where the environment is everyone's pet concern reusing glass bottles seems more sensible than trying to recycle plastic bottles.  But who has common sense anymore???  I certainly don't claim to (LOL).

As to the soda bottle, it's mine now!  My friend gave it to me, so now I have a New York companion for my Malden bottle.  I love it!

8 comments:

  1. Ken collects things associated with pop, especially Coke. He has some old bottles. In fact, you may remember some of them were the source of my black eye last summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being the numbskull that I am, I'll have to reread that post.

      Delete
  2. I am just finishing a can of Pepsi as I type this! You may also remember the Pepsi can that I brought home from Germany.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I *FINALLY* mailed your package out to you today. The tracking number is 9500 1154 1962 2122 8329 06. Oh, and when Mr. BTEG and I were with our college group in East Germany, there was a soda brand called Prick Cola. A few of our fellow college students bought some to take home the bottles as souvenirs. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prick Cola! LOL, I love it! I'm excited to receive news about the package; it's only Monday but I've already had about as bad a week as I can remember.

      Delete
    2. It's nothing much, but I hope it brightens up your day.

      Delete