Looking for something?

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Ice, ice, babies!

Despite the copious amount of ice, snow, and...well, yuck that fell on the roads Thursday, the stork came twice, delivering these two pets.

Kiara, in front, is a secondhand Bitty Baby, and Melissa is Mattel's Baby Come Back.  Kiara dates from between 2011 and 2013 (her onesie helps date her), while Melissa is significantly older, dating from 1976.  Melissa will be getting a full review later on this year (much, much later), so I'm just going to examine Kiara for now, since this is my first time handling a Bitty Baby.  This is her up close.

Bitty Babies don't have numbers like Just Like You dolls do...take that back.  They are numbered now, but they weren't when I was little.  Kiara has fair skin, dark hair, and dark, rounded eyes, and based on that I assume that she's Bitty Baby #2.  #4 has slightly squinted eyes and could be interpreted as Asian...hey, just like JLY #4!  I love coincidences!  Anyway, Bitty Baby #2 was released in 2013, so her floral onesie is the right one, though it changed not long after this to a pink and white sleeper.  Your basic boring, as the Eleventh Doctor would put it.  I definitely prefer what my girl's got.

Since Kiara is secondhand she's got a few dings and scuffs on her head, but nothing major.

Eyes...eyes look good.  I don't think these more recent dolls are as prone to silver eye as the older ones, but I always look anyway.

Here's a better look at the face.  It's free of scuffs and scratches.

Beastsbelle said that the head mold changed during Bitty Baby's revamp in 2013, but the wiki says nothing about this other than that a revamp happened.  I'm so inexperienced with Bitty Baby that I can't tell an old one from a new one, but Beastsbelle preferred the older style.  I'll have to look at an older doll (NOT buy one, I promised Mama) and get back to y'all on which style I prefer.  Since my doll has all but nonexistent eyebrows I think she is pre-revamp, but I'm not 100% certain on that.

I don't think it's very fair to just ignore Melissa, so here's a close-up of her face.  She's a cute doll...

...but...there's actually an amusing story about how I got her.  I'll go into that I review her.  By the way, notice that Melissa has brown eyes rather than the blue eyes that Mattel was obsessed with then and now.  As a last little addendum, I think Melissa and Jordyn will become fast friends since they're both blonde and mechanical. 

Pretty cute!

Cheers,
RagingMoon1987 

4 comments:

  1. I haven't paid enough attention to Bitty Baby to see that the face molds changed. I think she's a cute doll and I love her little flower onesie. I think the white with stars is a little boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, your basic boring, LOL! In truth I'm not sure if the head mold changed either, but I know the paint scheme did.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of the Melissa doll before, but she's cute. I like her chin! Your Bitty Baby has really nice eyes, I think I prefer the brown-eyed babies in this line better. I honestly can't tell if they switched the face molds. I used to love reading Beastsbelle's blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I used to love Beastsbelle too. She was where I got the idea to make Luciana my resident sci-fi fan. Having looked at the new Bitty Babies, I think the difference is in paint rather than in head molds. The new ones have rather bold eyebrows that are kinda jarring on such a young baby.

      Delete