Looking for something?

Friday, January 19, 2018

Flipping Cissy, part 1: new wig!

This will be a semi-regular series of posts chronicling my attempts to give my old Cissy doll a face-lift.  Some of y'all may remember her; I call her "Peaches."  This is what she looked like when I first got her.
There's a good reason why I call her "Peaches" instead of "Cissy."  Firstly, I think "Cissy" is an idiotic name, even if it does conjure up images of higher-end Madame Alexander dolls for some folks.  But admittedly "Peaches" is a bit of a silly name too, at least for a doll.  No, I call my little poppet "Peaches" because she's peach-colored...and she's peach-colored because at some point in the past she was around a heavy smoker or two or three.  When I first got this doll she was in rough shape with a broken knee and loose joints, clad in an ill-fitting pair of shoes and a dress that was stained and reeked of Eau du Cigarette.  Her wig was unkept and her face was bright orange.  I was able to wash Peaches' wig and dress, and Mama got her a new dress to wear while the old one was being washed.  As a result, Peaches ended up looking semi-presentable, like this.
Much better, but still not fabulous.  Notice that Peaches' hair is still mussed in that picture, and that she still has a faint orange cast, AND that she still has a broken knee (notice that her left leg is at a funny angle).  But at the time I decided to leave well enough alone and just let her hang around in my collection.

So that was last year.  Then about New Year's Eve I decided to give Peaches another hairwash.  Her wig still smelled bad and was frizzy, so I busted out the trusty Dawn, threw a towel over Peaches' eyes, stuck her head under the sink and...a piece of her wig broke off, cap and all.  So I said a lot of swear words and peeled the rest of the wig off, leaving poor Peaches bald.  When the wig peeled off it revealed a lot of groad and filth that I'd not been able to reach when I washed her face the first time.

Since Peaches needed a new wig, and since I didn't want a bald doll sitting all forlorn in my dolly room, I got her this.
This wig is from Natrume on Etsy and is a size 9-10.  It was originally intended for a Pullip or a larger ball-jointed doll, but it looks okay on Peaches too.  She looks a little like Denise now, in fact!

So I don't know when the next installation of this series will be, but y'all are along for the ride now!  I'll keep y'all posted on Miss Peaches' makeover.

Hugs,
RagingMoon1987

14 comments:

  1. She looks so much better than she did originally. Gosh if she looked like that, imagine what the lungs of the smoker/s must look like! I like her dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God in heaven, I'd thought of that! I don't mean to make a dig at smokers here, but I revile cigarettes. They stink...literally! Peaches still has a long way to go before she'll be an A-list dolly again, but I'm glad you like her so far!

      Delete
  2. She looks better already with a new wig. I hope you can find an effective way to work on her discoloration.

    I can't imagine owning such an expensive doll, or expensive anything, and then damaging it by smoking so heavily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? God only knows how much she must've originally cost, too! To think of that, and then she was damaged so badly that she ended up in a junk shop for twenty bucks, and when the cashier smelled her she knocked off another ten! I'll make her beautiful again, though. So glad you like the wig!

      Delete
  3. I think the new wig really suits her. The color brings out her eyes and the shape looks very nice with the shape of her face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid it might not fit her, but obviously it did (LOL). I hadn't noticed her eyes before, but that lighter brown DOES flatter them! Hopefully y'all will like next week's rewigging job just as well (her wig fell apart too).

      Delete
  4. She looks so much better already! Did you manage to repair the broken leg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, not yet. I'm not sure how I'm going to go about that, but it'll involve me taking her apart. When I attempt that repair I'll share that too.

      Delete
  5. You are making very nice progress on her. I really do like her new dress and the shorter bob haircut seems to suit her as well. I will be interested in seeing the updates as to the progress you make on her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know when the next update will be, but y'all will definitely be kept in the know. I think the next post may involve me taking her apart to clean and restring her.

      Delete
  6. She looks great now..awesome job. Definitely more of a Denise now, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I meant she looks like another doll I've got named Denise. If I hadn't taken that name already that would be a good name for Peaches.

      Delete
  7. I came across this post whilst looking for a replacement wig for my Cissy, actually, and was wondering if you've made progress with her. I have a pumpkin head (this is what collectors call the dolls from this particular year that did this with the head) Elise, and I've been sitting her out in the sun daily with a coating of vaseline. It seems to be helping immensely, and she is already a good bit lighter than she was when I received her. That method gently bleaches the orange out, and leaves the original facial painting intact. There are other ways to bleach it out, but they tend to result in loss of the vintage paint. She is also from the year that the head molds had a technical problem, and the neck openings were slightly too large, resulting in what is known as the "no-neck" Cissy. There are ways to fix that now as well, and they give the result of looking more like the other dolls. I am excited to see your girl's process. <3 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vaseline! I never would've thought of it! Thanks for the information, I'll have to try it. Unfortunately this new wig is where I stalled out, since I only have two hands and need three or four to restring this doll. So she's still banana-colored and floppy for now. Thank you for the tip, though! Good luck on finding a wig for your girl.

      Delete