Looking for something?

Monday, August 21, 2017

Black hole sun

This is not in any way related to dolls, but I got some neat pictures so I thought I'd share.  A band of the U.S. is experiencing a solar eclipse today, and my neck of the woods just happens to be getting the best of it right now.  Malden is out of the range of totality, but we ARE getting a partial eclipse that's just as neat.  I don't have the equipment to photograph the sun itself, but I did get some great pictures of the shadows the sun is throwing.  Here's what they looked like at 1:03 p.m., CDT.
At 1:19 I went outside again and the sky was bizarrely dark.  The shadows had narrowed quite a bit.
Totality occurred in Cape Girardeau at 1:21 p.m., CDT.  At that time the inside of my house was very dark, dark enough that had I not known an eclipse was occurring I would've looked outside for thunderclouds.  Indeed, it may storm later in our neck of the woods, but for now God has allowed the Legion of eclipse enthusiasts to view what they came for.

The moon is moving off now and the sky is lightening back up, but I must admit that even though I was not in the path of totality I still had fun with this eclipse.  God willing, I'll be around for the next one; to my delight, the next total eclipse, seven and a half years from now, is predicted to come right over Malden.  Lordy...I guess that'll mean another month fielding calls to the library about eclipse glasses.  Truthfully, 90% of the phone calls I got at the library last week were people asking for those danged glasses...which we very quickly ran out of.  Anywho, this was a lot of fun, and I hope that anyone still in the path will have fun viewing this too.  Please be extra careful with your eyes!

Much love,
RagingMoon1987

No comments:

Post a Comment