Looking for something?

Thursday, July 25, 2024

Dolly Dress Discussion: Baby Alive

It might come as a surprise to y'all that I own a Baby Alive doll.  I wasn't enamored with Snackin' Sara from years gone by, but my little dolly isn't quite as ridiculous-looking.  Meet Lulu Achoo.
Lulu fills a small gap that I had in my life as a preschooler, one that I'll discuss in detail when Lulu gets her review in November.  And yes, I have two baby dolls named Lulu.
For the record, I'm not a big fan of the name "Lulu."  I don't even know why I named my Magic Nursery baby "Lulu," other than for want of a quick "L" name.  Anyway, Lulu is a get-well doll, one of those who catches a cold and needs a little TLC to get better.  Dolls like this are usually lightly clad, and this is so in Lulu's case.  Her pajamas are thin and look a little like hospital pajamas.
Y'all know me, I love doll clothes and want to give Lulu a new look.  The dresses I got on Etsy didn't really cut the mustard, but luckily for me Baby Alive isn't allergic to making separate little outfits for their dolls.  I found two of 'em on Etsy.
Hmmm...that doll on the backs of these packages looks older than Lulu.  See how long her arms are?
Baby Alive dolls can vary in size, but these packages don't say what size doll the outfits are meant for.  Oh well, if they don't fit Lulu they'll fit someone in my collection.  But I'm gonna try it anyway.  Let's look at these dresses, first and foremost.
I love the colors, first and foremost.  I like the colors and the summery look of these new dresses.  Actually...that cute blue one isn't a dress.  It's a top and some shorts.
Both of these outfits were tacked to their package with those horrid little plastic ties, and one of 'em left quite the hole in the back of the blouse.
The rest of the outfit is made out of thin fabric that's printed on one side and white on the other...just like American Girl's Create Your Own clothes.  Anyway, let's see how this looks on Lulu.
Yeah, it's big on her.  Not ridiculously so, but the shirt gapes around the neckline...
...and the leggings want to cover her feet.
Not a bad little getup, really, but I'm kinda nitpicky about the way clothes fit my dolls.  I usually let it slide with baby dolls since real little babies wear clothes that are too big for them anyway, but...yeah, moving on.  The other outfit is a legit dress, but it's got bloomers underneath, which I think is smart.  With babies, anything over that diaper is a smart idea.
The bodice of the dress stretches, so let's see how this looks on Lulu.
Much better.  This one is also loose around the neck, but it doesn't show as much.  The back is cut low enuff that I can access Lulu's on/off switch if I so choose.
I definitely like the dress better.  I've been tinkering with the idea of getting another slightly taller Baby Alive doll, and if I do she can have the shorts set.  IF I do; Mama had to pay our handyman another thousand bucks for paint this past week, so that IF is extremely doubtful right now.  But no matter, Lulu can wear these with few problems.  I can get over the ill fit of those tights.

Cheers,
RagingMoon1987

2 comments:

  1. Is that one of the recent-years ones? Her name sounds familiar if only because when I was doing online shopping for Y'all-Mart a couple years back that particular Baby Alive flew off the shelves. And I mean 2021, well after the worst of the pandemic!
    She has cute feeties, but I've never been a huge fan of the flattened heads that line has :'D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does have cute feet, and you're right about these dolls having flat heads. From the side Lulu's noggin looks like a Skittle or some similar candy that's both flat and round.

      Yes, Lulu is pretty recent, though which year, I can't remember. I've had her around awhile, but not a long while.

      Delete