Looking for something?

Sunday, January 24, 2021

MGA Entertainment's next big hit?

Random post, since I haven't done this in awhile.  The information contained in this post is very, very old news, but I'm sharing it anyway because these dolls look amazing in real life.  Yesterday I went to the local Wally World for some necessities, and as I always do I go to the toy section and see what's new.  Barbie has some nice new things available (WITH SHOES!!!), and Na! Na! Na! Surprises have returned to shelves.  I had been worried that those were discontinued already, but nope!  I'm a casual fan of Na! Na! Na! Surprises, but what caught my eyes were the new Rainbow High dolls.  I knew that a second wave was out already, but partially due to this coronavirus crap I'm only now seeing parts of Wave One.  Amaya Raine is much more impressive IRL than she is on pictures.

Bella Parker is also much better in real life, though I think that pale pink washes her out.
And lastly, the cheerleader line is making it in.  The only cheerleader available at our Wal-Mart was Violet Willow, but the employees were stocking shelves so there may be more to come.
I knew about all of them, but I DIDN'T know that Amaya Raine had gotten a redesign.  Gone are her snow-white locks and glitter paint.  Now she looks like Rainbow Dream.
Maybe Rainbow Dream and Amaya Raine are cousins or something like that!  MGA loves to make family units out of spin-off dolls (like they did with the Bratzillaz), so maybe we can all pretend that Rainbow and Amaya are related.  So far all the characters I've shown were old ones with new spins, but this next gal is a new one entirely.  Her box lists her name as Karma Nichols, and she belongs to Wave 2 like Bella Parker does.
These are getting fun, y'all!  I knew about Bella and about the first guy in the Rainbow High line (Kendall River, who represents the color teal and looks like a Moxie Girlz friend), but this young lady surprised me completely.  Karma apparently represents the color neon green, which is a color I never would've imagined since green has already been done (Jade Hunter is green).  I didn't get a good picture of Karma's eyes, but they're a lovely shade of light brown.  In addition to pink, teal, and neon green, indigo and fuchsia have also made an appearance.  The fuchsia doll is Stella Monroe, who has a fluffy coat like Violet Willow does, and the indigo doll is Krystal Bailey.  Krystal is...thank God, a DOLL OF COLOR!!!  I was wondering if we'd get a doll darker than Sunny Madison.  Having seen Krystal though, I can't help feeling that she and Violet should be switched.  Violet looks more lavender or indigo than violet, and Krystal looks more violet than indigo!  Krystal is a must-have for me, though; I had hoped to get all of these dolls, but I've fallen far behind and these poppets aren't exactly cheap.

Ah yes, the last time MGA Entertainment poured out dolls like this at such a fast rate, they were making a killing with the Bratz dolls.  Oh, what a happy time that was, seeing the toy shelves that were full of some other doll besides Barbie!  Yeah, yeah, I know Bratz were risque, but it was still nice to see something different for a change, and I was sorely disappointed when their comebacks were such flops.  As with the Bratz I predict that the Rainbow High troupe will not be everyone's cuppa tea, but I like their cartoonish proportions and eye-catching colors, and I hope these will become the next big thing for MGA.

Cheers,
RagingMoon1987

2 comments:

  1. These new dolls are attractive, although not for me. I see them on Instagram a lot. The outfits are short and tight, but the dolls are articulated, and their shoes can come off their feet now, so MGA learned something from Bratz. I would have loved it if the Shibajuku Girlz dolls had faces similar to these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding, these faces are not quite as vacant as Shibajuku faces. LOL, I forgot to note that shoe-feet appears to be a thing of the past with these dolls...although some of them do still have socks that won't come off!

      Delete