Looking for something?

Friday, February 14, 2020

Dollies for Valentine's Day

Several years back I did a post like this, with a number of my dolls wearing red or heart-themed clothes.  This year, each of my library girls has something red or pink or heart-themed to wear, so here's how they look.  Here's Xenia.
In addition to her omnipresent heart-shaped shades, Xenia is wearing a red and white ballgown from Hobby Lobby.  I have never used this dress in the four or so years that I've owned it, so it's unfortunately pretty wrinkled.  I'm hoping that the wrinkles will hang out, but with this stiff material I doubt they will.  Underneath her long skirt Xenia is wearing these cute shoes, also Hobby Lobby finds.  For some weird reason my camera didn't want to focus on these, so they're blurry.
If I had any complaints about this outfit it would be that it has no sleeves.  Valentine's Day falls during winter here in the northern hemisphere, and as a result it's still pretty cold out there.  Xenia could probably do with a jacket or bolero to cover her arms...but then again no one specifically said that this was a Valentine's Day dress!  The skirt has polka dots, not hearts.
Hearts or polka dots, the colors are perfect for today.

Lady Sadie is wearing an Etsy number, another gift from my mother.
Sadie, I have decided, shall be my uber-girly-girl, the one who likes to wear frills and the like, though she's just as capable of being a tomboy as Denise is.  Take a look at this fabric, though; it's got teddy bears!
So cute!  I love teddy bears.  Underneath her skirt Sadie wears these cute frilly socks and red pleather shoes.  The shoes are labeled "Sophia's" on the inside.
I love this headband, though it's a little hard to get placed over Sadie's thick hair.  It has some elastic in the back, and that helps.
Underneath her dress Sadie is wearing a cute pair of bloomers, but I didn't show that.  I don't like showing my dollies' butts.  Overall this is pretty typical of a garment from Etsy:  cute and well-made, perfect for any eighteen-inch doll.  Score another point for my mother, who finds some pretty awesome things for my girls!

I wasn't really sure what to do for Silver Bird, but since the Star Hoodie Outfit is dominantly pink I decided that it would fit the bill.
The Star Hoodie Outfit was the Just Like You meet outfit from 2008 to 2010, and it was one of the last meet outfits that a #4 like Silver Bird would've had (#4 was retired in 2011).  Silver Bird's ensemble is 100% American Girl, something I rarely do for my dolls (I usually throw in off-brand accessories).  A more thorough description of this outfit can be found on AG's wiki.  The leggings are a little shorter than I'd like for this time of year, but Silver Bird is more covered than Xenia and Sadie are!  She's at least got sleeves!

Z Yang's ensemble ties in with Silver Bird's a little as it's mostly American Girl-brand stuff .  However, Z's outfit incorporates the off-brand accessories that I mentioned beforehand.  Here's what Z is wearing.
Z's skirt, sweater, and vest are all Modern Mix and Match pieces from Fall of 2018.  Their AG-given names are the Downtown Skirt, the Sequin Collar Sweater, and the City Plaid Vest, respectively.  I think a better name for the skirt would've been the Stained Glass Skirt, due to this pattern.
Z's tights and boots are Etsy.  The boots are those cute little Ugg-style numbers that I got from Camille's Doll Spa, and I got the tights from there as well.  Silver Bird has also worn these tights a lot, and shoving them onto her proved to be a mistake on my part, as Silver Bird is a Pleasant Company-era doll, and her stout build did a number on the seams!  Some cat hairs are also visible (LOL).
I think that from now on these tights will be exclusively for Z and any other Mattel-era American Girls that I might drag in.  And since I hiked Z's skirt up already, let's take a look at the underlay.
This layer fits Z pretty tightly, tight enough that I can't make her sit without unnecessary force.  If any of y'all have that skirt, best keep that in mind.  Of the five dolls I think Z's look is the most fragmented; I can't decide whether that vest belongs or not.  Mama likes the outfit with the vest, but I'm just not sure.

Lastly, my dear Denise.
Denise is clad mostly in Etsy garb, with the main pieces being yet another gift from Mama.  She bought me the sweater and hat right before Christmas.  The sweater is mostly made of plain white stuff, but it does have a heart knitted into the chest with this soft eyelash yarn.
Denise's sleeves are trimmed with this same eyelash stuff, and both the sleeves and the hem of the sweater are scalloped.
I've crocheted scalloped hems like this, but never once have I tried to knit one.  I have, however, knitted buttonholes.  Yes, to my delight this sweater buttons up the back, which I much prefer to pulling over Denise's head.
Denise's hat matches her sweater, right down to the pink eyelash hearts.
The rest of Denise's garb is stuff I already had on hand:  the blue jeans that she wears with her spring and summer tops, and the pink Hobby Lobby boots that Xenia usually wears with her denim jumper. The boots don't really match the pink in Denise's sweater and hat, but...oh well.  I'm trying to do with what I've got on hand this month, and not buy a ton of crap that I don't really need.

And that, ladies and germs, is my crew for the year.  Come the end of February my girls will change from red and pink to green and yellow, with the approach of St. Paddy's Day and spring.  Wait 'til y'all see what Xenia gets to wear, LOL.  In the meantime I'll enjoy the warm, bright colors that my troupe is wearing and ask y'all which outfit you liked the best.

Happy Valentine's Day,
RagingMoon1987

5 comments:

  1. Everyone looks very festive! I love that dress with the bears, how cute is that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that one is popular with the kids that come into the library!

      Delete
  2. Everyone looks great! I love Sadie's Teddy Bear dress...so cute! I think my total favorite though are Xenia's sunglasses, lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I wish I could've found some shamrock shades for St. Pat's Day! Alas, she'll have to stay in those hearts for awhile!

      Delete
  3. I like that one too. Sadie makes a good girly girl.

    ReplyDelete