Looking for something?

Thursday, November 29, 2018

Time to Gripe: MGA quality control rides again

Or rather, the lack of it does.  Konichiwa, it's RagingMoon1987, and for the first time in...well, in quite some time, I have to file a complaint.  As y'all may or may not remember I'm quite fond of the Li'l Outrageous Littles, so much so that I keep going back for more even though I've got quite a nice collection already.  Today I saw a bunch of dolls from the Glam Glitter series, mistook those for the newest line that can double as Christmas ornaments, and bought one of the pods.  I was delighted to discover that my pod contained a glitzy version of my first character Spice...but look closer.
She...she...SHE ONLY HAS ONE SHOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is the first time I've had this happen to me personally, but it isn't the first time I've seen it; in one YouTube video the vloggers land an 80's B.B. that doesn't even have a dress.  This irks me though; I know there the Fashion Crush outfits can potentially supply "Cinder," as I've chosen to call my Cinderella-style Spice, with more shoes than she could ever want.  But dang it, what good is a cute little sparkly boot if it doesn't have its mate???  This is definitely NOT a surprise I want to find in an L.O.L. Surprise pod.  And unfortunately, this surprise is...not terribly surprising considering how spotty MGA's quality control can be.  Yet another attempt at a Bratz comeback is being made, and already the Facebook groups I'm a member of have plenty of pictures of dolls with sloppy paint, bad hair, missing accessories, or all of the above.  MGA had best get their act together if they want the Bratz to make a comeback, AND if they want the Li'l Outrageous Littles to continue selling as well as they are.

On the plus side, now I've got both versions of Spice!  See how cute they are together?
Dang, that missing shoe is a doggie downer!  Thank goodness for those Fashion Crush outfits, nasty jelly or no.

Yours always,
RagingMoon1987

9 comments:

  1. Would MGA do something about the missing shoe, if you asked? On the one hand, anybody could email and say their doll was missing an item. On the other hand, there are plenty of complaints out there; I have to think MGA knows how bad their quality control has gotten. The prices for the LOL Surprise stuff is outrageous too, especially the house, I think.

    I got my niece two LOL Surprise dolls for Christmas (on sale); I hope neither of them have any defects. I'm also making little houses for my niece, and the daughter of a friend, so stay tuned to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O_O I'd LOVE to have that house, but you aren't whistling Dixie about that price! I do think MGA would do something about the missing shoe if I hollered at them, yes, but it's the principle of the thing. Toys like this should not be missing pieces, plain and simple.

      I'll cross my fingers for your niece's dolls, and I can't wait to see the houses!

      Delete
    2. I agree that toys should not be missing pieces, but poor quality control seems to be almost the norm with various types of dolls lately. MGA is going to have to watch out, though, as you said. I definitely think poor quality control is one of the reasons that Mattel is losing big money, and MGA might be following in their footsteps.

      Delete
    3. Hasbro is too. The latest wave of Disney dolls has molded bodies, something that I'd hoped Hasbro WOULDN'T do.

      Delete
    4. I've seen people griping about that, and I agree that's a sign of laziness, and a downward direction for Hasbro. There has to be a line between making dolls for toddlers who, frankly, aren't ready for fashion dolls, and making dolls that are so detailed the price gets too high.

      Frankly, I think companies like Mattel and Hasbro are just too large. They're probably overloaded with overpriced executives at the top, and not creative, or able to quickly react to a market. Other than continually trying to revive Bratz, MGA has seemed pretty good at coming out with something unique, and riding the wave until the trend is over. Quality control issues indicate, though, that MGA is starting to take their buyers for granted also. If little girls get disappointed too often, though, they'll probably be receptive to trying another toy.

      Delete
    5. The strange thing is, all three of the main toy giants are cheapening, but they still manage to push the little ones out. You saw how briefly Pinkie Cooper was around, and Spin Masters can't keep a doll on the market.

      Delete
  2. This is old post but quality control is still an issue with MGA. I opened a ticket with MGA on two of their new dance LOL Omg dolls, both had obvious paint smears that did not wash off. It's obvious that it's underneath the sealant. MGA responded back saying it's likely the retailer (Amazon's fault) and they likely sent me a used doll. I doubt that since I purchased the items as soon as they became available. I would say their defect rate is about 30% and I'm not even counting the small things like misalignments or chipped paint. Not only is their quality control horrible but now they seem to be blaming their retailers - I don't believe that is good business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boy, that IS shoddy, both in QC and in business! If MGA keeps those shenanigans up they won't have anyone to do business with! Don't worry about sharing current info on an old blog post, by the way; folks still come back to these posts for reference, and I personally appreciate the info! The Rainbow High dolls I've seen have been so nice that I'd hoped QC had improved. But...obviously not. Thanks for the information!

      Delete
  3. I have decided I will stop buying MGA products in shops even if they are half price. I have already stopped buying omgs full price.
    I adore omgs but I had so many issues with them. It ruins the pleasure to have a new doll. My new disappointment is a RH doll with a faulty joint for her leg. One of her leg is extremely loose. Also the plastic part at the top of her leg is not fixed properly. It is coming out. I put it back in place but it does not stay securely in place. I think her leg would probably break if the doll would be played with. Sigh...
    I have 3 RH dolls bought new in box and 2 have issues. The leg problem being the worst.
    I don't want to give anymore money to MGA. I will buy all my omgs second hand from now on.
    I have just been reading the comments. The same thing happened to me with paint stains that don't come off with omgs. The doll was bought new from a shop so it was definitely not a used doll! How disgusting to put the blame on others! Bad business!
    I tried nail polish remover with acetone and the paint stains don't come off. I am not even sure it would be removable with pure acetone.
    I don't know what is wrong with MGA.Their older products never used to be like that. I buy older Bratz dolls in boot sales. They are nearly 20 years old, have been played with and... great face paint and no manufacturing defects.
    I think MGA simply don't care because they know people will carry on buying their products. I will... but second hand only. I don't want my money to go to a company so profit orientated that they don't care about their customers and not even about their products.

    ReplyDelete