Looking for something?

Saturday, October 6, 2018

Birthday girls

Both Talolili and I had a birthday this week (hers was on the second, and mine is today).  I don't know if Tal got any dolly stuff for her birthday, but I managed to score these three little porcelain dolls.  First Uncle bought them at a junk shop in House Springs, Missouri.
Why on Earth would someone staple price tags to a doll's dress???  I've seen them taped, pinned, and tied to a doll, but this one is something new.  Due to this it's unfortunately pretty obvious what my uncle paid for these dolls, but fortunately the prices were pretty low.

Going from left to right, the first doll has frizzy dark brown hair and lovely brown eyes.
This little gal has a smug little expression that I just adore.  She carries an apple in her hand, making me wonder if she's supposed to be a little schoolgirl, or maybe an apple-picker.  Like so many of my porcelain dolls this child wears a cap, and to go with this cap is an old-fashioned dress in shades of cream and brown.  The dress is heavily trimmed with eyelet, and she wears white socks and cream-colored shoes on her feet.  For some reason this doll is darker than the other two in terms of skintone, but that's not a big deal.  I just thought that was neat.  I haven't picked a name for this one yet.

The doll in the middle is the tallest, and she is the only one with a company tag and a name.  The name on the tag is "Milly," which is good enough for me.  She has navy blue eyes and long strawberry blonde hair that could do with a trim.  Notice that one set of eyelashes is trying to go AWOL!
Milly is very warmly dressed, much more so than the other two dolls, complete with a cream-colored cardigan and a matching sock hat.  Underneath that she wears a dress made of rose-colored velour.  Her collar and the hem of her skirt are trimmed in an unusual style of lace.  The knitted pieces of Milly's outfit are trimmed with embroidery and cat's eye beads.  White stockings and white lace-up boots complete the look.

The last little doll is a red-haired, blue-eyed sailor girl.  She's the only one with short hair, which I appreciate.
I rather unoriginally chose the name "Sayler" for this little sailor.  She is...wearing a sailor dress and is carrying an American flag.  'Nuff said.  Sayler has a bit of a humorous story behind her, by the way; my uncle saw the "U.S.A." printed on her hat and assumed that she was an American Girl doll!  Not likely, but she sure is cute!

I also bought a handful of other girls for myself, but they're scheduled to be reviewed before the year is out so I won't show them now.  I'll give y'all a sneak peak, though; one is yet another antique bisque doll (like Hattie), and the other is an Enchantimal.  Pretty different from each other on the dolly spectrum, with one being a collectible and the other being tomorrow's forgotten flop...maybe. 

Happy birthday to Tal and me,
RagingMoon1987

5 comments:

  1. This is really adorable. I appreciated your creative efforts.

    Thanks!
    embroidery patches iron on
    jackets back patches

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I like the first one the best. Little Miss Priss :). They all cute (AWOL eyelashes is keeping it real as that's just how life goes sometimes!) Happiest of birthdays to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, AWOL eyelashes are par for the course with porcelain dolls and...Well, with ANY doll that has inset lashes! At least it's an easy fix.

      Delete
  3. Late happy birthday wishes for you both! I'm glad to see that you got doll stuff for your special day. (Hope Tal got some, too.) Cuteness matters more than cost.

    I look forward to seeing the other dolls you got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know, I didn't even ask Talolili how her birthday went. She and I need to have a bull session. Thank you for the birthday wishes; better late than never! I should have the reviews up by mid-December since I've got a lot of other stuff to review. Some of it's just ordinary stuff...but I like it so I'm reviewing it. Keep your eyes peeled!

      Delete