Saturday, October 3, 2026

Dolls I want but don't need: the Mackie edition

Treesa wisely suggested that I do a post about either my favorite Mackie Barbies or my favorite collector-level Barbies.  Either/or, right?  Well, it's been a long time since I posted anything worth reading, my MRI results STILL aren't in yet, and all I really need to do for a post like this is nick a few stock images.  So here we are, in no particular order, my favorite Bob Mackie Barbies.

NEPTUNE FANTASY, 1992
This is the first collector doll that I died and went to Heaven over, because...well, she's wearing teal!  I also went wild over all those beads, since my dad did beadwork (I later learned, LOL).  I can remember a time when this doll cost nearly a thousand bucks, but nowadays...well, they're still pricey, but one can find a nice in-box example for significantly LESS than a thousand bucks.

THE CHARLESTON, 2001
From the halcyon days before 9/11 (seriously, that year had been awesome up 'til then) comes the Charleston, who inspired my love for flapper dolls.  The Charleston is a porcelain doll, something I didn't oft like because porcelain Barbie dolls are more figurines than they are dolls, but this one looks like she's actually moving rather than just holding a pose.

THE TANGO, 1999
This one actually came out BEFORE the Charleston!  But the Charleston is the one I remember best, and then after I'm through thinking about her I go "Oh yeah, the Tango was gorgeous too!"  As with Neptune Fantasy, I love the colors and the beadwork, but dang, I wish those awesome shoes came off!  One of my dolls could steal 'em!  The Tango is porcelain like the Charleston is, and both belonged to a collection of dance-themed dolls that Mr. Mackie designed.  To my considerable disappointment they were the only dolls in the collection!  No ballet, no waltz, no cha-cha, kinda a bummer, but the two that collectors did get are epic.

BRUNETTE BRILLIANCE, 2002
Mama was looking over my shoulder when I put this post together, and she liked this one a lot.  I like her too; she looks...welllll...she kinda looks like Mama did when she was young!  Mama never wore her hair like Brunette Brilliance does, but the overall look is there.  The hairdo also reminds me of Liza Minnelli, if any of y'all like her.

MOON GODDESS, 1996
Barbie?  Lots of beads?  A blue dress?  The moon?  Yes, please!  This one has a sister, Goddess of the Sun, but I've always loved the moon.

FANTASY GODDESS OF THE ARCTIC, 2001
I think this one is my favorite of the Goddesses.  She predates Queen Elsa by a country mile!  That open-front dress looks kinda cold, though.  Maybe the Goddess is like Elsa, and the cold doesn't bother her anyway.  But despite my hatred of winter I love winter-themed dolls.

QUEEN OF HEARTS, 1994
This one is another that Mama liked a lot, and surprise, surprise, she's got dark hair like Mama once did!  I like that eye-catching shade of red, meself.  She's just a pretty doll.

HONORABLE MENTION:  BEAD BLAST BARBIE, 1997
Bob Mackie did NOT design Bead Blast Barbie, but she does utilize the Mackie sculpt so I'm giving her an honorable mention.  I love Bead Blast Barbie, with her colorful clothes, her long, lush hair, her kid-friendly gimmick, and of course, that soft, closed smile.  

Y'all may have noticed that I omitted Illusion Barbie, and it turns out that she was NOT designed by Bob Mackie, but by another of Mattel's brilliant designers, Robert Best.  Like Bead Blast Barbie, she utilizes the Mackie sculpt, and she'll appear on the list of my favorite collector dolls...or sooner, if the doctor calls today (which I doubt).

All my love,
RagingMoon1987

3 comments:

  1. It is cool how the bead dangles on Fantasy Goddess Of The Arctic's cape look like icicles. Since you mentioned you like Moon Goddess Barbie and the moon in general, have you ever seen the Barbie Celestial Collection dolls from the early 2000s. There was a Midnight Moon Princess doll in that series who is quite pretty, and I have a used Evening Star Princess Barbie renamed Celeste who appeared on my doll blog in the past.
    Signed, Treesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when Bead Blast Barbie came out, but my parents didn't get it for me. I might had been a bit too old for barbies, but I stopped playing with dolls way after all my other friends did.
    I don't know much about collector editions, those were never in the shelves at stores where I live, but Fantasy Goddess of the artic and Moon goddess look gorgeous to me. They all do, but those stood out the most.
    Thanks for sharing. It's okay to want and/or like a doll, and not have it. The world is not gonna end :)
    I didn't know MRI results took so long, I wish you the best with that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool post RM, I love Bob Mackie designed dolls, there is so much detail in the gowns. Pity he didn't do more dance dolls, I like those of those you've shown here, actually they are all lovely. Yes, I do see a resemblence of Liza, she used to have some wacky hair days. LOL!

    You must have a terrible medical system over there, for your results to be taking this long...tell them to pull their finger out!! Hopefully soon.
    Big hugs,
    X

    ReplyDelete